Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using DropBox on a Macintosh to backup files

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    I'm intending to backup the source files of a program I'm working on. So what I tried to do is

left-click-->Make Alias

with each of the source files and then moved the aliases to my DropBox folder on my computer. I assumed this would have the effect of having the source files being saved in my DropBox account as well as on my machine whenever I save my work. But the alias files have some weird encoding.

Also, I just made a GitHub account and I'm wondering whether there's a way to use my GitHub client to automatically sync the most recent version of the project on my computer.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by automatically synching? You can synch GitHub files but you have to at least tell it to synch. Are you referring to a commit?

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

An alias in Mac OS is not a copy of the original file. It's a sort of "pointer" file that contains information that tells the OS where to find the original file. When you double-click on the alias, the OS opens the original file.

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4
    I want to continuously "push" a GitHub repository, I guess

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    I probably should've learned GitHub terminology before making this thread

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook