Using DropBox on a Macintosh to backup files

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the speaker is attempting to backup the source files of their program by making aliases and moving them to their Dropbox folder. However, the alias files have some strange encoding. They have also created a GitHub account and are wondering if there is a way to automatically sync the project on their computer with their GitHub account. The other person clarifies that an alias is not a copy of the original file, but rather a pointer to it. The speaker then explains that they want to continuously push their GitHub repository, and regrets not learning the terminology beforehand.
Jamin2112
I'm intending to backup the source files of a program I'm working on. So what I tried to do is

left-click-->Make Alias

with each of the source files and then moved the aliases to my DropBox folder on my computer. I assumed this would have the effect of having the source files being saved in my DropBox account as well as on my machine whenever I save my work. But the alias files have some weird encoding.

Also, I just made a GitHub account and I'm wondering whether there's a way to use my GitHub client to automatically sync the most recent version of the project on my computer.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by automatically synching? You can synch GitHub files but you have to at least tell it to synch. Are you referring to a commit?

An alias in Mac OS is not a copy of the original file. It's a sort of "pointer" file that contains information that tells the OS where to find the original file. When you double-click on the alias, the OS opens the original file.

Borg said:
What do you mean by automatically synching? You can synch GitHub files but you have to at least tell it to synch. Are you referring to a commit?

I want to continuously "push" a GitHub repository, I guess

I probably should've learned GitHub terminology before making this thread

1. How do I set up DropBox on my Mac for file backup?

To set up DropBox on your Mac for file backup, first download and install the DropBox application. Once installed, open the application and create a DropBox account or sign in with an existing one. Then, you can choose which files and folders you want to sync to your DropBox by selecting them in the preferences menu.

2. Can I access my DropBox files from any device?

Yes, one of the advantages of using DropBox is that you can access your files from any device with an internet connection. Simply log into your DropBox account on the device and your files will be synced.

3. How secure is DropBox for file backup?

DropBox uses multiple layers of security to protect your files. This includes encryption during transmission and storage, as well as two-factor authentication for added protection. However, it is always recommended to use strong and unique passwords to further secure your files.

4. Can I restore previous versions of my files with DropBox on a Mac?

Yes, DropBox automatically saves previous versions of your files for up to 30 days. You can access these previous versions by right-clicking on a file and selecting "Previous Versions." From there, you can choose which version you want to restore.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of storage space on DropBox for Mac?

DropBox offers different storage plans, ranging from free with 2GB of storage to paid plans with up to 3TB of storage. However, if you need more space, you can always upgrade to a higher plan or consider using external hard drives for additional backup options.