Using friction in circular motion

In summary: The car is skidding, and the frictional force is slowing it down. What is the direction of the velocity? What is the direction of the frictional force? Which way does the net force (i.e. the sum of all forces) act?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car negotiating a banked bend while skidding. The solution involves considering the direction of the frictional force and the direction of the velocity, and using Newton's 2nd law to determine the maximum speed at which the car can safely negotiate the bend without increasing its radius of travel.
PAstudent

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

Fnet=m(v^2/R)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood the FBD and how to find the bank angle. I just don't fully understand what part a and b are giving me in terms of friction. So for a, since it is skidding would only kinetic friction be used? Then for b, would I have to find the fs max because the tires don't skid?

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds correct.

PAstudent said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 89548

Homework Equations

Fnet=m(v^2/R)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood the FBD and how to find the bank angle. I just don't fully understand what part a and b are giving me in terms of friction. So for a, since it is skidding would only kinetic friction be used? Then for b, would I have to find the fs max because the tires don't skid?
Yes to: "So for a, since it is skidding would only kinetic friction be used? ".

Yes to: "Then for b, would I have to find the fs max because the tires don't skid?".

Thank you for the replies

PAstudent said:
Then for b, would I have to find the fs max because the tires don't skid?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking there. Are you asking whether the only difference in the two solutions is which coefficient you should use?
If so, the answer is no. You also need to consider which direction the frictional force acts in.

The problem interpretation is a bit awkward in (a). What does it mean to ask whether the car will safely negotiate the bend while skidding, given that its speed will not be constant? To answer correctly, one would need to know how much margin there is, i.e. how far the car starts from the outer edge of the road. So presumably we must interpret it as how fast can the car go without its radius of travel increasing, i.e. as though it is already at the edge of the road.

image.jpg

Is it correct for (a) to solve for the mass and plug that into the other Newton's 2nd law to cancel the mass and normal force

PAstudent said:
View attachment 89563
Is it correct for (a) to solve for the mass and plug that into the other Newton's 2nd law to cancel the mass and normal force
As I indicated, you need to think about the direction in which the frictional force acts. The car is moving tangentially at some speed v, wheels locked, and skidding. If two surfaces are in sliding contact, which way is the force of friction?

The friction force would oppose the direction of the velocity. So it's wrong to have my friction force down the slope of the track?

PAstudent said:
The friction force would oppose the direction of the velocity. So it's wrong to have my friction force down the slope of the track?
In case (a), yes, that is wrong.

What is friction in circular motion?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. In circular motion, friction occurs between the object and the surface it is moving on, and it acts in the direction opposite to the motion.

How does friction affect circular motion?

Friction affects circular motion by slowing down or stopping the object's motion. This is because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, reducing the object's speed and causing it to eventually come to a stop.

How can friction be useful in circular motion?

Friction can be useful in circular motion by providing the necessary force for an object to maintain a circular path. This is seen in situations such as a car turning around a corner or a roller coaster staying on its track.

What factors affect the amount of friction in circular motion?

The amount of friction in circular motion is affected by several factors, including the type of surface the object is moving on, the weight and shape of the object, and the speed at which it is moving. Rough surfaces, heavier objects, and higher speeds typically result in more friction.

How can friction be reduced in circular motion?

Friction can be reduced in circular motion by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface for the object to move on. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object and decreasing its speed can also decrease the amount of friction.