1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Isomorphism Theorem to show

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If G is a group and aϵG, then the inner automorphism θa: G --> G is defined by θa(g) = aga-1. Let Inn(G) = group of inner automorphisms and Z(G) = the centre of G.
    Use the Isomorphism theorem to show G/Z(G)Inn(G).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, the inner automorphism θa: G --> G defined by θa(g) = aga-1 is a group homomorphism, with its kernel being the centre of G, denoted Z(G). And its image = Inn(G).
    So since the theorem says Im(θ) G/ker(θ), then G/Z(G)Inn(G).

Would I have to somehow prove that Z(G) = ker(θ)? I don't really know where to begin.
    Likewise with Im(θ) = Inn(G).

Please let me know if this attempt is sort of close to the actual solution.
    Thankss!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2
    You want to show that the assigment [tex] a\mapsto \theta_a [/tex] is a homomorphism from G to Aut(G) (the group of automorphisms of G). Clearly the image of this map is Inn(G). From what you wrote I think you were looking at an individual [tex]\theta_a[/tex] (which, btw, the kernel can be bigger than the center since there can be elements that commute with [tex]a[/tex] but not with everything, so the center will be a subgroup of the kernel of an individual [tex]\theta_a[/tex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook