Using Laplace Transforms to Solve PDE

In summary, the Laplace transform is used to solve a differential equation for a function y that is constant at certain points.
ColdFusion85
Use the Laplace transform to solve

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 y }{ \partial t^2 } = c^2 \frac{ \partial^2 y }{ \partial x^2 }[/tex] for x>0, t>0

y(0,t) = t, for t>0

y(x,0) = 0, [tex]\frac{\partial y(x,0) }{ \partial t }[/tex] = A, for x>0So I used the Laplace transform of a derivative, along with the initial conditions to get the PDE in the form

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 Y }{ \partial x^2 } = \frac{s^2}{c^2} Y - \frac{A}{c^2}[/tex]

However, I am not sure how to solve this. I know if the A/c^2 wasn't there it would just be

[tex] Y(x,s) = A(s)e^{\frac{s}{a} x} + B(s)e^{-\frac{s}{a} x}[/tex]

and since Y must be finite for all s because the Laplace transform of a finite function is finite, A(s)=0, leaving just

[tex] Y(x,s) = B(s)e^{-\frac{s}{a} x}[/tex]

and my notes from class tell me how to proceed from here. My problem is I don't know how to generate a form of the solution to my problem that I arrived at above. Can anyone help me proceed from here?If it is any help, the book tells me the final answer should be:

[tex]y(x,t) = At + (1-A)(t-\frac{x}{c})H(t-\frac{x}{c})[/tex]

where H is the Heaviside function

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the Laplace transform on partial differential equations and don't know how to handle a non-homogeneous linear equation with constant coefficients? It must have be been a long time since you took an introductory course in ordinary differential equations!

Use "undetermined coefficients" with y= C, constant. Put that into the equation to see what C must be in order to satisfy the equation.

This doesn't work. If I guess y=C, then we find that C=A/s^2. Y(0,s) = t, and taking the Laplace transform if this gives us 1/s^2, meaning A=1. So Y(x,s) = 1/s^2 and therefore y(x,t) = t. This isn't even close to the answer in the book.

Nevermind, I solved the problem. It involves an exponential term plus an A/s term prior to taking the inverse transform to arrive at the solution. Guessing y=C wasn't the correct method. Thanks anyway though

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is denoted by the symbol ƒ and is defined as the integral of a function multiplied by an exponential term.

2. How does using Laplace transforms help solve PDEs?

Laplace transforms are useful in solving partial differential equations (PDEs) because they convert the PDE into an algebraic equation in the frequency domain. This simplifies the problem and allows for easier manipulation and solution.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms can be used to solve linear, constant coefficient PDEs. This means that the PDE must have a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its partial derivatives, and the coefficients must be constants.

4. What are the steps for using Laplace transforms to solve a PDE?

The steps for using Laplace transforms to solve a PDE are as follows:

1. Apply the Laplace transform to both sides of the PDE.
  2. Use properties of Laplace transforms to simplify the transformed equation.
  3. Apply boundary or initial conditions to solve for the transformed dependent variable.
  4. Apply the inverse Laplace transform to obtain the solution in the time domain.
  5. Check the solution for consistency and accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Laplace transforms for solving PDEs. Some PDEs may not have a unique solution, and others may not have a solution at all. Additionally, Laplace transforms can only be applied to linear, constant coefficient PDEs, so they cannot be used for more complex PDEs.