Using limits to solve an arithmetic problem?

In summary: Interesting. I needed to solve this as part of a larger question that did not explicitly use limits. I think if I had been able to solve it without limits, it would have been satisfactory for the purposes of the problem. However, if I just stated that the expression does not exist, that would not be satisfactory.Thanks for the input.
tmt1
Supposing $x = 0$, do I need limits to solve $\frac{lnx }{x^2} + \frac{1}{2x^2}$?

Since $lnx$ does not exist at $x = 0$, then the best we can do is $\lim_{{x}\to{0}} lnx$ which is $0$.

But then, $x^2$ at zero equals 0, so we have $0/0$ which is indeterminate, so I need to find $\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{ln x}{x^2}$.

So maybe I can apply l'hopital's rule here, and take the derivative of the numerator and denominator:

$\frac{\frac{1}{x}}{2x}$

and then again to get:

$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{\frac{-1}{x^2}}{2}$ which is clearly $- \infty$.

Then $\lim_{{x}\to{0}} \frac{1}{2x^2}$ is clearly positive infinity.

So then I end up with $-\infty + \infty$ which is indeterminate, so how would I resolve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by stating:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\ln(x)}{x^2}+\frac{1}{2x^2}=\frac{2\ln(x)+1}{2x^2}=\frac{\ln(x^2)+1}{2x^2}\)

As $x\to0$, we do not get an indeterminate form, we get \(\displaystyle -\frac{\infty}{0}\), which is just $-\infty$. :D

tmt said:
Supposing $x = 0$, do I need limits to solve $\frac{lnx }{x^2} + \frac{1}{2x^2}$?
It's hard to misinterpret your question but the way you have stated it is not really that good. Your expression does not exist for x = 0 plain and simple. You don't need to look at limits. If you are going to take the limit as x goes to 0 you need to mention that from the start.

-Dan

topsquark said:
It's hard to misinterpret your question but the way you have stated it is not really that good. Your expression does not exist for x = 0 plain and simple. You don't need to look at limits. If you are going to take the limit as x goes to 0 you need to mention that from the start.

-Dan

Interesting. I needed to solve this as part of a larger question that did not explicitly use limits. I think if I had been able to solve it without limits, it would have been satisfactory for the purposes of the problem. However, if I just stated that the expression does not exist, that would not be satisfactory.

Thanks for the input.

[tex]f(x)= \frac{x^2- 4}{x- 2}[/tex] is not defined at x= 2.

I could note that, as long as x is not 2, [tex]\frac{x^2- 4}{x- 2}= \frac{(x- 2)(x+ 2)}{x- 2}= x+ 2[/tex] so that [tex]\lim_{x\to 2} f(x)= \lim_{x\to 2} x+2= 4[/tex].

So if we were to change the definition of f by defining f(2)= 4, then it would be identical to x+ 2. But that is not the way it is originally defined.

1. What is the purpose of using limits to solve an arithmetic problem?

Limits are used to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. This can be useful in solving complex arithmetic problems with variables, as limits allow us to find the exact value of the function at a given point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can evaluate the function at values closer and closer to the specified point, and see if the values approach a specific value. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring or rationalizing the denominator, to simplify the function and determine the limit.

3. Can limits be used to solve all types of arithmetic problems?

Limits can be used to solve many types of arithmetic problems, but they are most commonly used for finding the limit of a function at a specific point. They can also be used in calculus to find derivatives and integrals.

4. Are there any limitations to using limits to solve arithmetic problems?

Limits can only be used to solve arithmetic problems that involve continuous functions. They cannot be used for discontinuous functions, such as step functions or functions with asymptotes.

5. How can I check if my solution using limits is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the value of the limit into the original function and seeing if it matches the value you found. You can also use graphing software or online calculators to plot the function and visually see if your solution is correct.