Using logarithms in vector Calculus

In summary, the conversation revolved around deriving equation (3) using the log term from equation (2). It was unclear how the mentor went from equation (1) to (3) and why only one of the terms on the right-hand side contains the L term. After some discussion, it was realized that the mentor used the multivariable chain rule to turn ∇n*1/n into ∇L.
Mzzed

Homework Statement

My mentor has run me through the derivation of equation (3) bellow. I am unsure how he went from (1) to (3) by incorporating the log term from eq(2). In eq(3) it seems he just canceled the relevant n terms and then identified 1/n as the derivative of L however if this were the case then I am unsure why only one of the two terms on the RHS of eq(3) contains the L term.

How did he get from (1) to (3) using eq(2)?

Homework Equations

1) (∇⋅ωn)/n = (n∇⋅ω + ω⋅∇n)/n
2) L = log(n)
3) ∇⋅ω = ∇⋅ω + ω⋅∇L
where w is a 3 dimensional vector and n is a scalar.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think he may have just identified 1/n = ∇L but then if this were true, where did ∇n go from the second term in eq(1)? Also if this were true the same ∇L term would then be found in the first term wouldn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation 3 is missing stuff on the left-hand side.

In general for a logarithm you will have ##d\log(f) = df/f##.

I finally realized he used the multivariable chain rule to turn ∇n*1/n into ∇L. Thanks for your help though!

Likes Delta2

1. What are logarithms and how are they used in vector calculus?

Logarithms are mathematical functions used to solve exponential equations. In vector calculus, they are primarily used to simplify and solve complex equations involving vectors.

2. Why are logarithms important in vector calculus?

Logarithms help to transform complicated equations involving vectors into simpler forms, making them easier to solve. They also allow for the manipulation of large numbers and help to interpret the results of vector calculations.

3. What is the relationship between logarithms and exponentials in vector calculus?

Logarithms and exponentials are inverse functions of each other. This means that taking the logarithm of an exponential expression will result in the original value. In vector calculus, this relationship is used to solve equations involving both logarithms and exponentials.

4. How can I apply logarithms in vector calculus to real-world problems?

Logarithms can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can help to model and solve problems involving growth, decay, and other exponential phenomena.

5. Are there any tips for using logarithms in vector calculus effectively?

One tip is to practice using logarithms and their properties to simplify equations. It is also helpful to understand the relationship between logarithms and exponentials and how to use them together in calculations. Additionally, using technology like calculators or software can aid in solving more complex logarithmic equations in vector calculus.