Using moss to combat CO2 emissions

In summary: CO2 and turning it into plant material is insignificant in comparison to the power needed to run a human being.
HankDorsett
Gold Member
I came across a few different articles and social media post that claim moss is far better at absorbing CO2 and other pollutants then trees. The article from the link below claims that a relatively small planter is the equivalent of 250 trees. Is this accurate? If it is, why isn't this more common?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...rbs-more-air-pollution-than-a-grove-of-trees/

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Please ignore this reply, I forgot I could edit my post.

Last edited:
HankDorsett said:
Is this accurate? If it is, why isn't this more common?

When a plant absorbs CO2 it converts it into plant material, carbohydrates mainly. To my knowledge most mosses do not grow very fast as the same for trees. The data in the article is inconsistent. It says each "city tree" absorbs 240 tonne of CO2 each year. It say it is equivalent to 275 trees where a tree absorbs 0.022 tonnes of CO2 each year. So 275 trees absorb about 6 tonnes according to that figure. So something is wrong. Grass however at least in my lawn seems to double its mass every week. So I would say grass sucks up more CO2 than that moss.

If the "city tree" absorbed 240 tonnes of CO2 that would be 657 kg per day. In the production of carbohydrates each carbon is accompanied by two hydrogen and an oxygen atom. The 1 tonne of CO2 should produce about 0.7 tonnes of carbs and that's a still a lot more moss that you should see each day. So where is all this CO2 going. At that rate you should actually see it grow I would think.

Disclaimer: Not much knowledge of plant metabolism.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
@gleem, your description is a lot like particular technologies used in maintaining aquariums.
In particular, tuff scrubbers in salt water aquarium systems.
Mostly, the problem in closed/partially closed water systems for fish is a build up of nitrogenous compounds in the water.
Normally, bacterial filters are used to move the nitrogen to less toxic compounds (nitrate vs. ammonia), but even those compounds can build up to troublesome levels. Bacterial filters just grow bacteria (plus other in filter organisms) while processing the nitrogen compounds for energy.

An alternative, I am mostly aware of from salt water aquarium systems, is an algal turf scrubber type of filter.
Water containing fish wastes, flows over an illuminated bed (lights if inside) where turf scrubbing algae are anchored.
The algae grows fast and accumulates mass (made as the result of photosynthesis) out of materials it gets and removes from the water. The mass is largely composed of the elements: C, N, P, O, H, S.
The filters are designed so that it is easy to remove the accumulated mass, thus taking those chemicals out of the water system.
In water systems it is easy to measure amounts of dissolved chemicals in the water, as well as how fast things in the water system are growing. There is a lot done with it.

https://enst.umd.edu/research/research-centers/what-algal-turf-scrubber: (ATS + Algal Turf Scrubber)
The ATS system consists of an attached algal community growing on screens in a shallow trough or raceway through which water is pumped. The algal community provides water treatment by uptake of inorganic compounds in photosynthesis. Water is pumped from a waterway onto the raceway and algae remove the nutrients through biological uptake for growth as the water flows down the raceway. At the end of the raceway water is released back into the waterway, with a lower nutrient concentration than when it was pumped up onto the top of the raceway. The nutrients that have been removed from the waterway are stored in the biomass of the algae growing on the screen. The algae are harvested, approximately once per week, during the growing season thus removing nutrients from the waterway in their biomass. Because of the fast growth rate of algae on the ATS, this technology can remove nutrients at a high rate. Harvesting is important since this action rejuvenates the community and leads to high growth rates. In fact, biomass production rates of ATS are among the highest of any recorded values for natural or managed ecosystems.

gleem said:
If the "city tree" absorbed 240 tonnes of CO2 that would be 657 kg per day. In the production of carbohydrates each carbon is accompanied by two hydrogen and an oxygen atom. The 1 tonne of CO2 should produce about 0.7 tonnes of carbs and that's a still a lot more moss that you should see each day. So where is all this CO2 going. At that rate you should actually see it grow I would think.
This is indeed completely ridiculous. It would take 6GJ to convert 657 Kg CO2 into glucose. (2800 Kj/mol enthalpy of combustion of glucose, which produces 6 mol CO2.).
The power needed for that is 70kW, even with 100% efficient photosynthesis. (more like 1-2% in practice)
The surface area is 12m2.
The website of the producer Green City Solutions, doesn't mention CO2 absorption at all. This appears to be a case of circular reporting. Someone confused the absorption of particulates with that of CO2, and everyone copied this.

Likes OmCheeto
Thanks for the replies.

Like many threads this sent me looking on the web for relevant information. Indeed there is an endeavor to find the best plant to sequester CO2.

https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/the-search-for-a-perfect-plant-that-could-stop-climate-change/92396

The plant related to the mustard plant Arabidopsis is being studied at the Salk Institute. It is the first plant to have its entire genome mapped. The plan would be to bioengineer a variety with bigger, deeper root system while increasing the amount of suberin the waxy substance in cork that is particularly resistant to decay.

In the mean time trees still offer a good method of sequestering CO2 because they live for decades and decay slowly, provide shade, habitats for animals, control soil erosion as well as building materials for structures that can last for centuries.

Likes BillTre
The original claim there is about air pollution, not about CO2. In this regard, it might be correct: the surface and filtering efficiency what that wet moss bench providing may be comparable to several big trees, since trees has only leaves with very low filtering efficiency as the wind flows through them easily.

It worth noting tough that a big bench of HEPA filter with forced air circulation would be even better...:doh:but maybe less of a sensationo0)

Last edited:

1. How does moss combat CO2 emissions?

Moss is a type of plant that absorbs carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air through photosynthesis. By using moss in areas with high levels of CO2 emissions, the moss can help to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

2. Where can moss be used to combat CO2 emissions?

Moss can be used in a variety of places to combat CO2 emissions. It can be used in urban areas, such as on rooftops or walls, to absorb CO2 from the surrounding air. It can also be used in natural areas, such as forests or wetlands, to help absorb CO2 from the atmosphere.

3. Is moss a sustainable solution for reducing CO2 emissions?

Yes, moss is a sustainable solution for reducing CO2 emissions. It is a natural plant that does not require any additional resources to grow and can continue to absorb CO2 as long as it is alive. Additionally, moss can be easily propagated and does not require extensive maintenance.

4. How effective is moss in combatting CO2 emissions?

Studies have shown that moss can be very effective in combatting CO2 emissions. In fact, it has been found that moss can absorb up to 20 times more CO2 than other plants. Additionally, moss can continue to absorb CO2 even in low light conditions, making it a reliable solution for reducing emissions.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using moss to combat CO2 emissions?

While moss can be a beneficial tool in reducing CO2 emissions, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. Moss may not be as effective in areas with high levels of pollution, as it can also absorb harmful pollutants. Additionally, if not properly managed, moss can overgrow and potentially cause damage to buildings or infrastructure.