Using Parseval's Theorem to evaluate an integral -- Help please

In summary, to determine the value of the given integral, Parseval's Theorem and the Fourier Transform formula are applied to the function f(x), which is given by -1 for -2 ≤ x < 0, 1 for 0 ≥ x < 2, and 0 otherwise. The correct Fourier transform equation is given by ∫-dx e^(ikπx/2) + ∫ dx e^(ikπx/2), with the first integral between -2 and 0 and the second between 0 and 2. Adjusting the exponential factor to eikπx/2 accounts for the periodicity of eikx with period 2π.
KeithKp

Homework Statement

By applying Parseval's (Plancherel's) theorem to the function
7a9819bffa30e110228e3910e13a9c1.png
are given by:

f(x) = -1 for -2 ≤ x < 0
1 for 0 ≥ x < 2
0 otherwise

determine the value of the following integral.

∫ dk sin^4(k)/(k^2) (Integral between ±infinity)

Homework Equations

Parseval's Theorem, i.e the integral of the modulus squared of a function is equal to the integral of the modulus squared of its Fourier transform.

Fourier Transform formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried multiple times to try and arrive at the correct answer of pi/2 but I just can't do it. Is the Fourier transform:

∫-dx e^(ikx) + ∫ dx e^(ikx)? (First integral is between -2 and 0, second between 0 and 2). Because I can't get the correct answer doing that.

And for the equation of the function, is it just sgn(x), with the integral between -2 and 2? How else do I write f(x) given those boundaries? If I use sgn(x) between -2 and 2, I get 4 for the left hand side. But I still can't derive that integral.

If someone would just start me off with the correct Fourier transform equation, i'll go away and crunch the integration myself.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
KeithKp said:
(First integral is between -2 and 0, second between 0 and 2)
Yes, but then you need to adjust the exponential factor, since eikx is periodic with period 2π, not 4. Try eikπx/2.

1. What is Parseval's Theorem?

Parseval's Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the Fourier coefficients of a function to its energy, or the area under its squared absolute value curve. It is used to evaluate integrals involving trigonometric functions and to determine the total energy of a signal or function.

2. How is Parseval's Theorem used to evaluate an integral?

To use Parseval's Theorem to evaluate an integral, you first need to express the function as a sum of trigonometric functions using Fourier series. Then, you can use the formula in Parseval's Theorem to calculate the integral in terms of the Fourier coefficients of the function.

3. What is the significance of using Parseval's Theorem to evaluate an integral?

Using Parseval's Theorem to evaluate an integral allows you to analyze the energy or power of a signal or function in both the time and frequency domains. This is especially useful in applications involving signals and systems, such as in telecommunications and electrical engineering.

4. Are there any limitations to using Parseval's Theorem to evaluate an integral?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Parseval's Theorem. It can only be applied to functions that are square integrable, meaning their squared absolute value is finite. Additionally, Parseval's Theorem is only applicable for functions that have a finite energy or power.

5. Can Parseval's Theorem be used for integrals involving non-trigonometric functions?

No, Parseval's Theorem only applies to integrals involving trigonometric functions. For integrals involving non-trigonometric functions, other methods such as the Residue Theorem or Cauchy's Integral Formula may be used to evaluate the integral.