Using physics to determine the weight of Yoda

In summary: In 1979?Assuming that Newton's third law holds for THE force, I would say that Yoda's mass >> mass of an x-wing. Maybe even apporaching infinity.
fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This article in Wired http://www.wired.com/2015/08/used-physics-calculate-much-yoda-weighs/ describes a calculation of Yoda's weight from a still from The Empire Strikes Back. The author, Rhett Allain, is an Associate Professor of Physics at Southeastern Louisiana University. I didn't go through the details of the calculation, but it does fall in line with an obvious guess about how the shot was staged.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Czcibor
Physics news on Phys.org
fzero said:
This article in Wired http://www.wired.com/2015/08/used-physics-calculate-much-yoda-weighs/ describes a calculation of Yoda's weight from a still from The Empire Strikes Back. The author, Rhett Allain, is an Associate Professor of Physics at Southeastern Louisiana University. I didn't go through the details of the calculation, but it does fall in line with an obvious guess about how the shot was staged.
What? an estimate of what the fictitious yoda of the movie would weigh? You do realize that he probably was mostly movie effects, and no telling what materials the physical part of him was made.

Evo said:
What? an estimate of what the fictitious yoda of the movie would weigh? You do realize that he probably was mostly movie effects, and no telling what materials the physical part of him was made.

The calculation in the article is a bit more interesting than that. The scene is one in which Skywalker is doing a one-hand stand, supporting Yoda on his feet. By estimating the center of mass of the Luke-Yoda system and requiring that it be in equilibrium about the pivot point, Yoda's mass is determined from some assumptions about Luke's height and weight. The mass turns out to be negative, which I take as a fairly indirect confirmation that Mark Hamill's legs were supported by a rope or cable.

fzero said:
The calculation in the article is a bit more interesting than that. The scene is one in which Skywalker is doing a one-hand stand, supporting Yoda on his feet. By estimating the center of mass of the Luke-Yoda system and requiring that it be in equilibrium about the pivot point, Yoda's mass is determined from some assumptions about Luke's height and weight. The mass turns out to be negative, which I take as a fairly indirect confirmation that Mark Hamill's legs were supported by a rope or cable.
Obviously what is shown on film is purely for the visual effect and not intended to have any relationship to reality. The people that create these effects for film couldn't care less how realistic they are. Trust me, I know people that do the effects for these films and they give zero thought to reality. They do not care.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Obviously what is shown on film is purely for the visual effect and not intended to have any relationship to reality.

I am saying that the actor's orientation in the scene is not natural and some physics can be used to show that he had to be supported to maintain his pose. Presumably the shot was green-screened and Yoda could have even been added in post-production, but it makes sense that the actor was posed in a particular way for the shot. The result is consistent with that. There wasn't any particular reason to tilt the camera or rotate the frame in post for this scene.

fzero said:
I am saying that the actor's orientation in the scene is not natural and some physics can be used to show that he had to be supported to maintain his pose. Presumably the shot was green-screened and Yoda could have even been added in post-production, but it makes sense that the actor was posed in a particular way for the shot. The result is consistent with that. There wasn't any particular reason to tilt the camera or rotate the frame in post for this scene.
You would be surprised to find out how much of what you see is not real. Easier to add it with a computer later than require any specific actions or abilities from an actor.

Evo said:
You would be surprised to find out how much of what you see is not real. Easier to add it with a computer later than require any specific actions or abilities from an actor.

In 1979?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Assuming that Newton's third law holds for THE force, I would say that Yoda's mass >> mass of an x-wing. Maybe even apporaching infinity.

1. How can physics be used to determine the weight of Yoda?

Physics can be used to determine the weight of Yoda by using the formula W=mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By measuring Yoda's mass and the acceleration of gravity on his planet, we can calculate his weight.

2. What is Yoda's mass and how is it measured?

Yoda's mass is the amount of matter he contains. It can be measured using a scale or by calculating the density of his body and multiplying it by his volume.

3. How does the acceleration of gravity on Yoda's planet affect his weight?

The acceleration of gravity on Yoda's planet will affect his weight because the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of an object. Therefore, the stronger the gravity, the more force is pulling on Yoda and the higher his weight will be.

4. Can Yoda's weight be different on different planets?

Yes, Yoda's weight can be different on different planets because the acceleration of gravity varies from planet to planet. For example, on a planet with a higher gravity, Yoda would weigh more than he does on his home planet.

5. How accurate is using physics to determine Yoda's weight?

The accuracy of using physics to determine Yoda's weight depends on the accuracy of the measurements of his mass and the acceleration of gravity on his planet. If these measurements are precise, then the calculated weight will also be accurate.