1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using reference angles to evaluate trig function

1. Jan 12, 2018 #1
    Mod note: Moved from a Homework section, as this is more of a conceptual question than an actual homework problem.
    I can't really memorize the unit circle, but I do remember my instructor teaching us how to use reference angles to evaluate any trig function without needing the unit circle. I was wondering if anyone remembers this method? I tried to google it but couldn't really find any good results on the topic.

I know we had to memorize three triangles for a 45, 60, 90 degree angles, but I'm a bit lost after that.

@Sparkle, if you post a question in the Homework sections, you must use the homework template.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2018 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you understand the 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 triangles, use the method described here:
    http://www.dummies.com/education/ma...e-values-for-the-six-trigonometric-functions/

4. Jan 12, 2018 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The angles also include 0 and 30 degrees.

You can evaluate any trig function of the listed angles (including the ones I added), using the unit circle and a bit of geometry. For example, since the terminal ray for 120° is the reflection across the vertical axis of the ray for 60°, it follows that sin(120°) = sin(60°) and that cos(120°) = - cos(60°). You can repeat this kind of analysis for any angle that can be obtained by reflecting the terminal rays for 30°, 45°, 60°, or 90°, and use it to find any of the trig functions of these angles.

5. Jan 30, 2018 #4
    Hey, thank you guys! It has been a while since this post, and I'm now getting to figuring this out. They loaded us up with school work to weed out the weak for the full-refund drop date, plus I was handed a pretty big project at work. Anyway, I'll get back with my results on these methods. Also, I may have posted in the homework section (sorry about that if I did), but this isn't really homework per say but something I should already know by now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted