Using second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof

In summary, the theorem states that for any number between 1 and 2, there exists a number between 1 and 2 that is also between 1 and 2.
renolovexoxo

Homework Statement

Let F: N->N be defined by f(1)=1 and f(2)=2 and f(n+2)=1/2(f(n+1)+f(n))

Use Theorem 1.3 to prove that 1<=f(n)<=2 for all n in N

Homework Equations

For each n in N let P(n) be a statement about the positive integer n. If a) P(1) is true, and b) for k>1, P(k) is true whenever P(j) is true for all positive integers j<k, then P(n) is true for all n in N.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't really know how to even start this one. I have a hard time understanding what the theorem is even saying, so I don't know how to apply it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let' s see. Let's first parse the statement:

P(n) is the statement 1<=f(n)<=2 , so, e.g., P(3) is the statement 1<=P(3)<=2 ,

etc.

You're asked to show that if for any general number k>1 , it follows that

1<= f(n) <= 2 for all n in {1,2,...,k-1} , i.e., for any pos. integer you select,

you have that (and your job is to show that for any k you do have this) :

1) 1<=f(1)<=2
2) 1<=f(1)<=2
k-1) 1<= f(k-1)<=2

Then, you can conclude that ,for any number , say',s', that :

1<=f(s) <=2 .

I'm having trouble with how I am supposed to prove it without knowing the f(n) that is being used. Is there some part of the theorem that I'm missing that would help me with that aspect of this proof?

True that you don't know f(n), but you know some properties of it (recursively-

defined),from the first line in your original post.

Sorry if I was too abstruse.

Try maybe showing it for some specific numbers n, and see how to generalize it

for any j.

renolovexoxo said:

Homework Statement

Let F: N->N be defined by f(1)=1 and f(2)=2 and f(n+2)=1/2(f(n+1)+f(n))
So f(1)= 1 which is between 1 and 2 (inclusive). f(2)= 2 which is between 1 and 2 (inclusive). f(3)= f(1+ 2)= (1/2)(f(2)+ f(1))= (1/2)(2+1)= 3/2 which is between 1 and 2.
f(4)= (1/2)(f(3)+ f(2))= (1/2)(3/2+ 2)= (1/2)(7/2)= 7/4= 1 and 3/4 which is between 1 and 2.
f(5)= (1/2)(f(4)+ f(3))= (1/2) (7/4+ 3/2)= (1/2)(13/4)= 13/8= 1 and 5/8 which is between 1 and 2.

That's what it is saying!

Use Theorem 1.3 to prove that 1<=f(n)<=2 for all n in N

Homework Equations

For each n in N let P(n) be a statement about the positive integer n. If a) P(1) is true, and b) for k>1, P(k) is true whenever P(j) is true for all positive integers j<k, then P(n) is true for all n in N.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't really know how to even start this one. I have a hard time understanding what the theorem is even saying, so I don't know how to apply it.

So in the case, what would I consider k and j? Would i let n=k to finish this proof?

HallsofIvy said:
So f(1)= 1 which is between 1 and 2 (inclusive). f(2)= 2 which is between 1 and 2 (inclusive). f(3)= f(1+ 2)= (1/2)(f(2)+ f(1))= (1/2)(2+1)= 3/2 which is between 1 and 2.
f(4)= (1/2)(f(3)+ f(2))= (1/2)(3/2+ 2)= (1/2)(7/2)= 7/4= 1 and 3/4 which is between 1 and 2.
f(5)= (1/2)(f(4)+ f(3))= (1/2) (7/4+ 3/2)= (1/2)(13/4)= 13/8= 1 and 5/8 which is between 1 and 2.

That's what it is saying!

What do you mean by that's what it is saying? Are you referring to my post?

I'm sorry, but I still don't really understand what it is saying. I've read it several times and really am having a hard time. We didn't go over any examples of anything like this in class.

The problem defines a sequence f(1), f(2),... and is asking you to prove that all the terms of that sequence is in the interval [1,2]. So you need to prove the infinitely many statements:
f(1) is in [1,2]
f(2) is in [1,2]
The theorem that you included under "relevant equations" is telling you that you can do that by proving only two statements. This saves you an infinite amount of time. That's the whole point of induction. If we call the statements above P(1), P(2), and so on, the two statements you have to prove are:

P(1) is true.
For all positive integers n, if P(k) is true for all integers k<n, then P(n) is true.

I'm sure you will have no problems with the first of these statements. The proof of the second statement would typically start with "Let n be an arbitrary positive integer such that P(k) is true for all positive integers k<n." To complete the proof, you just need to show that P(n) is true.

Last edited:
Thank you. That makes a lot more sense now.

1. What is the Second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof?

The Second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof is a method used to prove mathematical statements that involve natural numbers. It is also known as the strong induction method.

2. How does the Second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof differ from the First Principle?

The main difference is that the Second Principle allows us to prove statements that involve more than one natural number, while the First Principle only allows us to prove statements about one natural number at a time.

3. Can the Second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof be used for all types of mathematical statements?

No, the Second Principle can only be used for statements that involve natural numbers and follow a specific pattern. It cannot be used for all types of mathematical statements.

4. What is the process of using the Second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof?

The process involves two steps: the base case and the inductive step. In the base case, we show that the statement is true for the first natural number. In the inductive step, we assume that the statement is true for all natural numbers up to a certain value, and then show that it is also true for the next natural number.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Second Principle of Mathematical Induction Proof?

Some common mistakes include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving it, using the wrong base case, and not following the correct inductive step. It is important to be precise and thorough when using this method of proof.