Using tensors and indicial notation

In summary, the conversation was about someone asking for recommendations on books that explain 4 vectors, tensors, and indicial notation in the context of General Relativity or Quantum Field. The person was struggling with these concepts in a new course and wanted some guidance. Two sources were suggested, including chapter 1 of a set of notes and the first 3 chapters of a book. Additionally, the person was advised to Google "tensor index notation" for more references.
Sekonda
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books that provide an introduction or a detailed explanation on the whole 4 vectors, tensors and using indicial notation (in the context of General Relativity or Quantum Field) - basically anything that explains to me how to manipulate 4 vectors and tensors under simple multiplications. I had learned how to use 4 vectors, be it very basically, in my last year but now I have started a new course somewhere else and it seems the prerequisites are more demanding than I naively anticipated...

Anyway, sorry if I've posted this in the incorrect forum - I just figured you guys would know best.
Thanks,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents a multilinear mapping between vector spaces. In simpler terms, it is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationships between different physical quantities in a coordinate-independent manner.

2. How is indicial notation used in tensors?

Indicial notation is a shorthand notation used to represent tensors in a concise and convenient manner. In this notation, indices are used to represent the components of a tensor relative to a particular coordinate system. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of tensor equations.

3. What are the advantages of using tensors and indicial notation?

Using tensors and indicial notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of physical quantities and their relationships. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of equations, as well as providing a coordinate-independent description of physical phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to using tensors and indicial notation?

One limitation is that tensors and indicial notation can be quite abstract and difficult to understand for those who are not familiar with the concepts. Additionally, the notation can become quite complex and difficult to work with when dealing with higher-order tensors.

5. How are tensors and indicial notation used in scientific research?

Tensors and indicial notation are used extensively in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in fields that deal with complex systems and multiple physical quantities, such as fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity.