Using the Binomial Theorem, find the first 5 terms in the expansion and estimate

• Thread starter singleton
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Okay, well, perhaps I am already done, perhaps not. This is why I seek your wisdom :)

If you are asked to find the first 5 terms of the expansion (1 + 0.07)^9 using the Binomial Theorem, and then asked to use these terms to estimate the value of 1.07^9 what would you put?

I added the 5 terms and wrote that I estimate the value of 1.07^9 would be that sum.

Is this all the question is asking? Or are you supposed to go further with the terms and do something mathematical? :confused: :yuck:

Answers and Replies

LeonhardEuler
Gold Member
Yeah, you added the first 5 terms and that was your estimate of 1.07^9. That seems like all there is.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
singleton said:
Okay, well, perhaps I am already done, perhaps not. This is why I seek your wisdom :)

If you are asked to find the first 5 terms of the expansion (1 + 0.07)^9 using the Binomial Theorem, and then asked to use these terms to estimate the value of 1.07^9 what would you put?

I added the 5 terms and wrote that I estimate the value of 1.07^9 would be that sum.

Is this all the question is asking? Or are you supposed to go further with the terms and do something mathematical? :confused: :yuck:
Why would writing out the first 5 terms of the binomial expansion and adding them not be "mathematical"?

Oh, well of course that was a mathematical approach...

But I thought this problem would require more thought/something I don't know, as the work it is along with is more than this simple. I thought that I was being tricked :redface:

I guess sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, eh? :D

Last edited:
you can find the first five terms by expension.they asked to find the estimate value,which can be obtained by adding the first 4 to 5 terms.the others terms are so small that they can be neglected...