1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the Binomial Theorem, find the first 5 terms in the expansion and estimate

1. Aug 24, 2005 #1
    Okay, well, perhaps I am already done, perhaps not. This is why I seek your wisdom :)

If you are asked to find the first 5 terms of the expansion (1 + 0.07)^9 using the Binomial Theorem, and then asked to use these terms to estimate the value of 1.07^9 what would you put?

I added the 5 terms and wrote that I estimate the value of 1.07^9 would be that sum.

Is this all the question is asking? Or are you supposed to go further with the terms and do something mathematical? :confused: :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Yeah, you added the first 5 terms and that was your estimate of 1.07^9. That seems like all there is.

4. Aug 25, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would writing out the first 5 terms of the binomial expansion and adding them not be "mathematical"?

5. Aug 26, 2005 #4
    Oh, well of course that was a mathematical approach...

But I thought this problem would require more thought/something I don't know, as the work it is along with is more than this simple. I thought that I was being tricked :redface:

I guess sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, eh? :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  6. Apr 23, 2011 #5
    you can find the first five terms by expension.they asked to find the estimate value,which can be obtained by adding the first 4 to 5 terms.the others terms are so small that they can be neglected...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook