1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the mean value theorem on trig functions

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let g be a function mapping x to xcosx-sinx.
    use the mean value theorem to prove that g(x) < 0 for x in (0,pi]

2. Relevant equations

well the function is both continuous and differentiable on the interval so that's a start...

3. The attempt at a solution

basically i thought i'd separate the interval into smaller sections coinciding with the roots of xcosx and sinx, ie:

i ticked off the interval [pi/2,pi] as xcosx is negative and sinx is still positive so g(x) <0;

currently considering xcosx for x in (0,1) and trying to find a turning point but i'm not seeing anywhere i can actually apply the MVT at the moment... halp!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi magik heepo! :smile:

The trick is to show that the derivative of g is always negative on [0,pi]. You should apply the mean value theorem to get that g is decreasing.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply micromass!

So now I write out the mvt as

((acos(a)-sin(a))-(bcos(b)-sin(b)))/a-b = -csin(c) and state that

since sin(c)>0 for c in [0,pi] and c>0 so -c<0. Also we've set a>b so a-b is positive, leaving

(acos(a)-sin(a))-(bcos(b)-sin(b)) = (b-a)csin(c) < 0

so g(x) <0...

well i'm convinced, thanks again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook