Using the mean value theorem on trig functions

In summary, the conversation discusses using the mean value theorem to prove that the function g(x) is negative for x in the interval (0, pi). The approach involves showing that the derivative of g is always negative on the interval and then applying the mean value theorem. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that g(x) is indeed negative for x in the given interval.
magik heepo

Homework Statement

let g be a function mapping x to xcosx-sinx.
use the mean value theorem to prove that g(x) < 0 for x in (0,pi]

Homework Equations

well the function is both continuous and differentiable on the interval so that's a start...

The Attempt at a Solution

basically i thought i'd separate the interval into smaller sections coinciding with the roots of xcosx and sinx, ie:

i ticked off the interval [pi/2,pi] as xcosx is negative and sinx is still positive so g(x) <0;

currently considering xcosx for x in (0,1) and trying to find a turning point but I'm not seeing anywhere i can actually apply the MVT at the moment... halp!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi magik heepo! :smile:

The trick is to show that the derivative of g is always negative on [0,pi]. You should apply the mean value theorem to get that g is decreasing.

Thanks for the reply micromass!

So now I write out the mvt as

((acos(a)-sin(a))-(bcos(b)-sin(b)))/a-b = -csin(c) and state that

since sin(c)>0 for c in [0,pi] and c>0 so -c<0. Also we've set a>b so a-b is positive, leaving

(acos(a)-sin(a))-(bcos(b)-sin(b)) = (b-a)csin(c) < 0

so g(x) <0...

well I'm convinced, thanks again :)

1. What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval.

2. How is the mean value theorem used on trigonometric functions?

The mean value theorem can be applied to trigonometric functions by finding the average rate of change of the function over a given interval and then determining the point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to this average rate of change.

3. What is the significance of using the mean value theorem on trigonometric functions?

Using the mean value theorem on trigonometric functions allows us to find the exact value of a point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over a given interval. This can be useful in solving real-world problems that involve trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the mean value theorem on trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the mean value theorem on trigonometric functions. It can only be applied to differentiable functions on closed intervals, and it may not always provide a unique solution.

5. How is the mean value theorem related to the intermediate value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a special case of the intermediate value theorem. This means that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and attains two different values at the endpoints of the interval, then there must exist at least one point in the interval where the function takes on the average of these two values.