UVA Engineering vs Virginia Tech Engineering

• Thread starter Scramble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation is about comparing Virginia Tech and University of Virginia, with the main focus on rankings, campus visits, and personal preferences. Both schools have their own strengths and it ultimately comes down to individual choice. The speaker also mentions receiving a full ride offer from UVA and the importance of standing out as an engineering student. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the idea that it's not where you go to school, but what you do there that matters.
Scramble
Which would you choose? In general Virginia Tech is ranked higher by US News, except in Chemical and Biomedical Engineering and just about tied in Electrical (VT-17, UVA-19)(I will most likely do Mechanical and might do Electrical). VT has 10,000 total more undergraduates. It is also harder to get into UVA than VT. In terms of prestige the UVA name seems to carry a bit more weight since overall undergrad UVA is ranked 23 and VT is ranked 71.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am in the same boat as you. I also got into Georgia Tech, but I probably won't go there because of price. Visited both campuses, very different campuses, loved both of them. From what the people here have told me, the two schools are so close that it doesn't really matter. I would visit both campuses and go to which one you like more. I liked VT's more, but not enough to cause me to lean one way or another.

I absolutely love both campuses. They are different, but I loved everything about both of them. There are a couple of things that are making me lean on UVA. One is that so many people from my high school got into VT that I wouldn't feel special, especially because those people worked half as hard I did throughout high school. And based on the people that got in, I just feel like I would fit in more at UVA. UVA is harder to get into and based on the people that I know that got into UVA vs. the people I know that got into VT, I like UVA more. And like you said UVA has history and prestige. (Also UVA is offering me like a full ride and I don't think VT is so that might make things easier for me)

Just remember though its not where you go its what you do there. You will have plenty of opportunities either way. As far as engineering you may have more opportunities at VT, but I think that you would be able to stand out more as an engineering student at UVA.

You will not go wrong on either one of these schools. I'm personally slightly partial to VT, but I have friends on the faculty at both of them. Go where you think you want to go, and don't worry about ratings.

What is the main difference between UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering?

The main difference between UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering is their focus on different areas of engineering. UVA Engineering has a strong emphasis on research and innovation, while Virginia Tech Engineering has a more practical, hands-on approach to learning and application.

Which university has a better reputation for engineering?

Both UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering have strong reputations in the field of engineering. UVA Engineering is often ranked higher in overall university rankings, but Virginia Tech Engineering is highly regarded for its rigorous and well-rounded engineering programs.

What are the job prospects for graduates of UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering?

Both UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering have high job placement rates for their graduates. UVA Engineering graduates often go on to work in research and development positions, while Virginia Tech Engineering graduates are highly sought after by companies for their practical skills and experience.

Which university has a better campus and facilities for engineering students?

Both UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering have modern and well-equipped facilities for their students. UVA Engineering is known for its picturesque campus and historic buildings, while Virginia Tech Engineering has a more modern and technology-focused campus.

Is one university better than the other for specific engineering disciplines?

Both UVA Engineering and Virginia Tech Engineering have strong programs in various engineering disciplines. However, UVA Engineering is known for its programs in civil and environmental engineering, while Virginia Tech Engineering is renowned for its programs in aerospace and mechanical engineering.