V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads in cascade

In summary, the homework statement says that there is a two-stage symmetrical attenuator with a total attenuation of 23 dB. The circuit is completed with a resistor values that must be worked out. The input impedance of the second stage has been crafted to be 75 Ohms. Tables exist to find voltage and current gains for a terminated two-port, as well as to convert e.g. from z to ABCD. Once the four composite ABCD parameters have been found, the voltage gain of the terminated ABCD two-port can be computed.
DanRow93

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/qBXvrGz
upload_2017-5-21_16-54-35.png

Above is a sketch of the circuit, a two stage symmetrical attenuator consisting of two symmetrical T attenuator pads connected in cascade, with the values that I have worked out for the resistors.

The reduction is 15dB in the first stage, and 8dB in the second stage, giving a total reduction of 23dB.

Given an input Voltage of 10mV, I must work out the output voltage. R_0 = 75 Ohms

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure that the solution is this simple, but this is my attempt.

N = 10^(dB/20)

= 10^(23/20) -> total attenuation of both stages used

= 14.13

N=V1/V2

V2=V1/N

V2 = (10x10^(-3))/14.13

V2 = 7.08x10^(-4) V

I was possibly supposed to do this using an inverse matrix, however I am not sure of how to do this method.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and if it is incorrect help me out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result looks good, certainly very close to that which you would obtain using other circuit analysis methods such as mesh or nodal analysis (I'd probably choose mesh analysis since then I could easily write the impedance matrix by inspection).

Personally I'm always a bit leery about simply cascading transfer functions or summing dB gains or losses when I can't immediately tell by inspection how the circuit stages will load each other and possibly change their characteristics. In this case it seems to have worked out okay.

Likes berkeman
gneill said:
Personally I'm always a bit leery about simply cascading transfer functions or summing dB gains or losses when I can't immediately tell by inspection how the circuit stages will load each other and possibly change their characteristics. In this case it seems to have worked out okay.

Looks like the input impedance of the second stage has been crafted to be 75 Ohms...

((75+32.26)//71.04) + 32.26 = 75

This is an ideal problem for ABCD parameters (matrices).

Tables exist for finding Zin, Zout, voltage and current gains for a terminated two-port in terms of z, y, abcd, h and g parameters. There are also tables to convert e.g. from z to ABCD. My ancient GE transistor manual has a great collection of these but I guarantee it's out of print. If you can't find a similar table you'll have to derive Vout/Vin for one ABCD two-port but it's not hard.

Then you find the composite (four) ABCD parameters for your two cascaded two-ports. This means matrix multiplication of the ABCD parameters of the two two-port (in the correct order!). Each matrix is of course a 2 by 2. Once you have the four composite ABCD parameters you look up or compute the voltage gain of the terminated ABCD two-port.

1. What is a V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads in cascade?

A V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads in cascade is a circuit configuration that uses two identical T attenuators in series to provide a greater level of attenuation. This setup is commonly used in electronic circuits to reduce the power or signal level without affecting the impedance of the circuit.

2. How does a V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads work?

In this configuration, both T attenuators are connected in series, with their inputs and outputs connected to the same signal line. The first T attenuator reduces the power or signal level by a certain amount, and the second T attenuator further reduces it by the same amount. This results in a greater overall attenuation compared to using a single T attenuator.

3. What are the advantages of using a V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads?

The main advantage of using this circuit configuration is that it provides a higher level of attenuation without affecting the impedance of the circuit. This is important in electronic circuits where maintaining a constant impedance is crucial for proper functioning. Additionally, using two T attenuators in cascade allows for more precise control over the amount of attenuation needed.

4. Are there any limitations to using a V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads?

One limitation of this setup is that it can only provide attenuation in multiples of the attenuation value of the individual T attenuators. For example, if each T attenuator has an attenuation value of 10 dB, the overall attenuation provided by the V2 configuration will be 20 dB, 30 dB, and so on. Another limitation is that using too many cascaded T attenuators can introduce unwanted reflections and distortions in the circuit.

5. How is a V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads different from other attenuation methods?

Compared to other methods of attenuation, such as using resistors or voltage dividers, the V2 of two symmetrical T attenuator pads offers a more precise and controlled level of attenuation without affecting the impedance of the circuit. It also allows for easy adjustment of the attenuation level by simply adding or removing T attenuators in the cascade setup.