1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van der Pol oscillator + Hopf bifurcation

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the biased van der Pol oscillator: [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=u (x^2-1)\frac{dx}{dt} + x = a[/tex]. Find the curves in (u,a) space at which Hopf bifurcations occur. (Strogatz 8.21)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not even sure where to start with this question, other than turning it into a 2-d system. Any advice on how to approach this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2
    I'm attempting a very similar question. I've managed to turn it into a 2D system but haven't got much further.

dx/dt = y

dy/dt = u(x^2 -1)y + x

A Hopf bifurcation is one where, as you vary u, the eigenvalues of the Jacobian change from having a negative real component to having a positive real component.

I'll let you know if I make more progress.
  4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    I've just looked in Strogatz at question 8.21 and I think you've copied out the question incorrectly:
    you wrote an equals sign between d^2x/dt^2 and u(x^2 -1)
    but Strogratz wrote a plus.

Luckily, this means we're working on exactly the same question.
    The equations for the 2D system are not as written above; insteat they are:

dx/dt = y

dy/dt = a - x - u(x^2 -1)y
  5. Jun 2, 2008 #4
    I think I've answered the question. My method was as follows:

I wrote down the Jacobian and got an expression for its eigenvalues. I then found the fixed points. I found what the eigenvalues are at the fixed points. It's then just a matter of inspecting your solution, looking at the definition of a Hopf bifurcation and seeing what values u and a need to take.

Best of luck,
    quantum boy
  6. Apr 16, 2010 #5
    i took did the jacobian and got eigenvalues of 0 and u(a^2)-u.....cause i found a fixed point of (a,0) from nullclines....now what do I do...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?