1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of van der pol oscillator

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given characteristic equation for a circuit containing a diode, I must figure out how to fit a polynomial to the curve so that the van der pol equation is obtained.

The paper I am reading is here:

http://www.unige.ch/math/hairer60/pres/pres_rentrop.pdf

My doubts are located on page three where the author talks about fitting the polynomial of degree three. I am trying to fill in the details as it isn't quite clear what he is actually doing.

Suggestions?

Should I plug the polynomial into the characteristic equation and manipulate it? Or is there some other technique?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2
    He is just filling it in I think.

[tex] C\ddot{U} + \left( \frac{RC}{L} + \frac{d}{du}\left(a_1U +a_2U^2 +a_3U^3\right)\right)\dot{U} + \frac{1}{L}\left(R(a_1U +a_2U^2 +a_3U^3) + U - U_{op}\right) [/tex]

It looks like it is going to look as is stated. Have you tried it and doesn't it work?

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3

Yea, I tried plugging everything in like you just did, but I could not figure out how to get rid of the U^3 term.

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In the bracket it vanishes due to the derivative, but outside it does not.
    Setting y=U+d with the right constant d gets rid of the U term in the brackets, but then you still have those U^2 and U^3 outside.

6. Feb 1, 2015 #5
    That's exactly what I don't want. I'm trying to figure out how they get to the van der pol equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted