Reactive Power Comp: Understand, Compensate & Why Needed

• Thread starter DjMadness
  • Start date
In summary, Hesch explains that reactive power is created when voltages and currents are phase shifted, and that it cannot accumulate energy. He goes on to say that reactive power can be positive or negative, and that it can be compensated by adding a capacitive load. Finally, Hesch mentions that power factor is important in electrical systems, and that it can be improved by having "old hands" on board.
DjMadness
Hello,

How can Reactive power be physically understood?

What is Reactive power compensation?

Why is reactive power compensation needed?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
DjMadness said:
How can Reactive power be physically understood?
Reactive power is created when ac-voltage and ac-current are phase-shifted 90°. So the power is positive for one half period and negative for the next half period. Thus the resulting power for a whole period will become zero. Reactive power cannot accumulate energy.
DjMadness said:
What is Reactive power compensation?
Reactive power can be positive or negative. A reactance consumes reactive power and a capacitance produces reactive power. So if you have a reactive load, resulting in consumption of reactive power, you can just add a capacitive load, that produces the same reactive power ( with opposite sign ). In this way the grid doesn't have to transmit any reactive power. The reactive power has been compensated.
DjMadness said:
Why is reactive power compensation needed?
Because reactive current heats transmission lines due to copper losses. When reactive power is compensated, the reactive current will be reduced, and thus the total amount of current. Thereby energy ( losses ) is saved.

Dj

can you give a clue as to your background ?Hesch gave a good answer for a beginning student seeking understanding of the basic concept.

A newbie engineer trying to figure out how to adjust var compensation for a power station voltage regulator might need a different approach to his question.

NOT being a wise guy, but - "Who wants to know ? "

jim hardy said:
Dj

can you give a clue as to your background ?Hesch gave a good answer for a beginning student seeking understanding of the basic concept.

A newbie engineer trying to figure out how to adjust var compensation for a power station voltage regulator might need a different approach to his question.

NOT being a wise guy, but - "Who wants to know ? "
Dear Mr. Jim

I`m a newbie engineer [M.S In Electrical Engineering] that has been working for years in communication areas [mainly PSTN].
I had divorced power electrical engineering/simulation/different approaches to work on mV embedded systems mainly focused on automation [micro-controllers].
Recently I found interest on working on LV distribution substations, especially focusing on VAR compensation.

As you can see, there is a huge gap between theoretical knowledge [M.S] and applied understanding of different engineering fields.

What I have intention to do is to program a processor in order to [smartly] compensate VAR on L.V grids.
First I just need to have a powerful background over all these titles, of VAR, compensation, etc...

Many Valued Algebra? Public Switched Telephone Network?
You're very high tech - last telephony i worked on was old Automatic Electric PAX with mechanical relays, clackety-clack ...

Hesch is good explainer.

Surely you remember introductory AC circuits course - phasor notation, power = VIcosθ et al...

wikipedia has a decent review at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

refresh what they are
maybe we can help you with how they get pushed around
i was in a power plant , no significant substation experience
but PF has several "old hands" on board .

Last edited:

1. What is reactive power compensation?

Reactive power compensation is the process of correcting the power factor of an electrical system by adding or subtracting reactive power. This is done in order to reduce wasted energy, improve the efficiency of the system, and prevent damage to equipment.

2. Why is reactive power compensation needed?

Reactive power compensation is needed because most electrical loads are inductive, meaning they require more reactive power (measured in reactive volt-amperes or VAR) than real power (measured in watts) to operate. This can lead to a low power factor, which causes inefficiency and increased energy costs. Reactive power compensation helps to balance the power factor and improve the overall performance of the system.

3. How does reactive power compensation work?

Reactive power compensation works by using devices such as capacitors or inductors to introduce reactive power into the system. These devices are connected in parallel or series with the load, depending on the type of compensation needed. The reactive power introduced by these devices cancels out the reactive power of the load, resulting in a higher power factor.

4. What are the benefits of reactive power compensation?

The benefits of reactive power compensation include improved power factor, reduced energy costs, and increased efficiency of the electrical system. It also helps to reduce voltage drops and improve voltage stability, which can prevent equipment damage and improve the overall reliability of the system.

5. How can I determine if my system needs reactive power compensation?

The best way to determine if your system needs reactive power compensation is to conduct a power factor analysis. This involves measuring the real and reactive power in the system and calculating the power factor. A power factor of less than 0.95 indicates a need for reactive power compensation. Consulting with a qualified electrical engineer can also help determine the need for reactive power compensation in your specific system.