Variable coefficient 2nd order DE

In summary, the problem is to solve the equation 2t2y''+3ty'-y=0, given that y1=1/t is a solution. The attempt at a solution involved using the method of annihilators, but this did not work due to the nonconstant coefficients in the DE. Instead, the method of variation of parameters was used by assuming a solution of the form y=vt-1 and finding the second linearly independent solution to be y2=t1/2. The general solution is y=C1t-1+C2t1/2. Another approach is to assume a solution of the form y=tr, leading to the quadratic 2r2-r-1=0 and solutions r
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

This an example from Boyce+DiPrima's text on ODEs. Original problem is to solve 2t2y''+3ty'-y=0, given that y1=1/t is a solution.

But I'm stuck at the part where I'm to solve
[itex]2tv''-v'=0[/itex],
v being the second unknown solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the text, they let w=v' which reduces the equation to
[itex]2tw'-w=0[/itex]
and solve by separation of variables.

I 'm trying to solve it by factoring differential operators (not sure what the method is called), so
[itex]v''-\frac{1}{2t}v'=0[/itex]
[itex]D(D-\frac{1}{2t})v=0[/itex]

Then I let [itex]w=(D-\frac{1}{2t})v[/itex],
[itex]\therefore Dw=0[/itex]
[itex]\therefore w=c_1[/itex]

[itex]\therefore v'-\frac{1}{2t}v=c_1[/itex]

But this isn't right - what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

This an example from Boyce+DiPrima's text on ODEs. Original problem is to solve 2t2y''+3ty'-y=0, given that y1=1/t is a solution.

But I'm stuck at the part where I'm to solve
[itex]2tv''-v'=0[/itex],
v being the second unknown solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the text, they let w=v' which reduces the equation to
[itex]2tw'-w=0[/itex]
and solve by separation of variables.

I 'm trying to solve it by factoring differential operators (not sure what the method is called), so
[itex]v''-\frac{1}{2t}v'=0[/itex]
[itex]D(D-\frac{1}{2t})v=0[/itex]
This looks like the method of annihilators. I'm not sure, but I don't think it will work if you don't have constant coefficients in your DE.
chipotleaway said:
Then I let [itex]w=(D-\frac{1}{2t})v[/itex],
[itex]\therefore Dw=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore v'-\frac{1}{2t}v=c_1[/itex]

But this isn't right - what am I doing wrong?
It looks like you skipped some steps.
If (D - 1/(2t)) v = 0, then dv/dt - 1/(2t)v = 0, or dv/dt = v/(2t). This is separable, and gives you a solution for (D - 1/(2t)) v = 0, but it doesn't also work for the original DE, y''+3ty'-y=0, at the start of your post.

You didn't show how you got from y''+3ty'-y=0 to 2tv''-v'=0, so I'm wondering if you made a mistake in that work.

The original equation is 2t2y''+3ty'-y=0
Let v be the unknown solution and y=vt-1. Differentiate y and y' and substitute it into the DE, work through the algebra and out pops 2tv''-v'=0.

Here're all the steps I took
[itex]2tv''-v'=0[/itex]
[itex]v''-\frac{v'}{2t}=0[/itex]
[itex]D(D-\frac{1}{2t})v=0 [/itex]

Let [itex]w=(D-\frac{1}{2t})v[/itex], therefore the 3rd line becomes
[itex]Dw=0[/itex]

Since [itex]w=(D-\frac{1}{2t})v[/itex], then
[itex]v'-\frac{1}{2t}v=c_1[/itex]

Which I solved using integrating factors ([itex]\mu(t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt(t)}[/itex])

[itex]v=2c_1t+c_2\sqrt{t}[/itex]

Please excuse my copy mistake - I neglected to write the 2t2 coefficient of y''.

Unfortunately the solution I got doesn't satisfy the original DE

Here's how they did it in the text:
[itex]2tv''-v'=-[/itex]
Letting w=v'
[itex]2tw'-w=0[/itex]

Separating variables and solving for w(t)

[itex]\therefore w(t)=v'(t)=ct^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\therefore v(t)=\frac{2}{3}ct^{\frac{3}{2}}+k[/itex]

So the annihilator method misses out on an integration...looks like it's the change of variables makes the difference. hmmm

Yeah, I don't know if annihilators are applicable when you have nonconstant coefficients. What you started out with is called variation of parameters or, in some books, variation of constants.

I followed that through and came up with the solutions.

Given that y = t-1 is a solution, you're looking for a solution of the form y = vt-1. Differentiating that twice and substituting into the original equation gets you to this equation:
-v' + 2v''t = 0, or equivalently, 2tv'' - v' = 0 (a lot of terms drop out)

Let u = v', so u' = v''
The last equation a couple of lines up becomes 2tu' - u = 0, or
du/dt = u/(2t)

Separating, we get du/u = (1/2) dt/t ==> ln u = (1/2) ln t = ln (t1/2)
So u = eln(t1/2) = t1/2

Backing out, since u = v', then we integrate u to get v: v = (2/3)t3/2

I'm being very cavalier about the constants of integration. In the end, we'll work it back in.

One more step. We have y = (1/t)v, so y = (1/t)(2/3)t3/2 = (2/3)t1/2.

The 2/3 factor can be discarded. All I needed was to find another linearly independent function to go with y1 = 1/t. The other is y2 = t1/2.

The general solution to the original DE is y = C1t-1 + C2t1/2
. As you see, the constants I ignored earlier are back in.

An alternate approach is to assume that solutions are of the form y = tr. Then y' = rtr -1 and r'' = r(r - 1)tr - 2

Substitute y, y', y'' into the original DE to get 2t2r(r - 1)tr -2 + 3trtr - 1 - tr = 0

Multiplying things out and collecting terms by powers of r, get get
(2r2 - r - 1)tr = 0
The quadratic can be factored to give r = -1 and r = 1/2, which is in agreement with the previous work.

The type of DE in this problem where you have decreasing powers of the independent variable as the orders of the derivatives decrease, has a name. I think this might be called an Euler equation or maybe an Airy equation. Without checking, I don't know for sure.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a variable coefficient 2nd order differential equation?

A variable coefficient 2nd order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a second-order derivative of a function, where the coefficients of the derivatives are not constant but instead vary with the independent variable.

2. How is a variable coefficient 2nd order differential equation different from a regular 2nd order differential equation?

In a regular 2nd order differential equation, the coefficients of the derivatives are constant and do not change with the independent variable. However, in a variable coefficient 2nd order differential equation, these coefficients may vary with the independent variable, making the equation more complex to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of variable coefficient 2nd order differential equations?

Variable coefficient 2nd order differential equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model various physical phenomena and systems. Some examples include modeling the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, and the flow of electricity in a circuit.

4. How do you solve a variable coefficient 2nd order differential equation?

The method for solving a variable coefficient 2nd order differential equation depends on the type of equation and its specific coefficients. In some cases, an analytical solution may be possible, while in others, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be used.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving variable coefficient 2nd order differential equations?

Yes, there are various techniques and methods that can be used to solve variable coefficient 2nd order differential equations, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. These techniques involve manipulating the equation to transform it into a simpler form that can be solved using known methods.