Variance of the EM wave equation under Galilean transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Galilean transformations in relation to Maxwell's equations and electromagnetic waves. It is determined that under the Galilean transformation, the wave equation for electromagnetic waves is not invariant. The question is posed whether this is a proof of the variance of the wave equation under Galilean transformation, and it is clarified that the issue lies in defining Galileo transformations on the quantities in Maxwell's equations. The conversation concludes with the mention of Einstein's theory of relativity and the need for a better understanding of spacetime.
Pushoam
Two very similar threads were merged. Some posts may seem redundant
Dale said:
Why don't you try it out yourself. Write down a simple plane wave. Confirm that it satisfies all of Maxwell's equations in vacuum. Use the Galilean transformation. Check if it still satisfies Maxwell's equations in vacuum.
For using Galilean transformation, I have to assume that speed of light w.r.t. ether frame is c.
W.r.t. ether frame,
E = E0 eik(x-ct)

W.r.t. S' frame which is moving with speed v along the direction of propagation of light,
E' = E0 eik(x'-c't')
Under Galilean transformation,
x' = x-vt,
t' = t,
c' = c -v
So, (x'-c't') = x -ct
thus, E' = E
i.e. under the Galilean transformation, em wave equation is invariant.

Is this correct?
I am asking it here instead of creating a new thread, because I think the topic is similar.
If it is not allowed, sorry for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
under the Galilean transformation, em wave equation is invariant

No, it isn't, because the speed of the wave changes. You go from a wave moving at speed ##c## to a wave moving at speed ##c - v##.

(You are also assuming that the wavenumber ##k## does not change. I'm not sure that assumption is justified.)

PeterDonis said:
You go from a wave moving at speed cc to a wave moving at speed c−vc - v.
Then, x also changes from x to x - vt. And the two changes get canceled in the wave equation.
PeterDonis said:
You are also assuming that the wavenumber kk does not change. I'm not sure that assumption is justified.)
Assuming that the frequency of an em wave depends on the source generating em wave.
So, the frequency will remain same w.r.t. both reference frames.
Then, ω=ω',
k ≠k'.
k = ω/c,
k' = ω/(c -v)
E = E0ei(kx-ωt) = E0eiω(x/c - t)
E' = E'0eiω((x-vt)/(c -v) - t)
E' ≠ E
Is this correct?

Any em wave could be written as a combination of plane waves.
So, if I show the plane wave solution of em wave equation to be variant under Galilean transformation and then using superposition principle, I can say that any solution of em wave equation is variant under Galilean transformation.
Will this be a proof of variance of em wave equation under Galilean transformation?For using Galilean transformation, I have to assume that speed of light w.r.t. ether frame is c.
W.r.t. ether frame,
E = E0 eik(x-ct)

W.r.t. S' frame which is moving with speed v along the direction of propagation of light,
E' = E0 eik'(x'-c't')

Under Galilean transformation,
x' = x-vt,
t' = t,
c' = c -v
So, (x'-c't') = x -ct

Assuming that the frequency of an em wave depends on the source generating em wave.
So, the frequency will remain same w.r.t. both reference frames.
Then, ω=ω',
k ≠k'.
k = ω/c,
k' = ω/(c -v)
E = E0 eiω(x/c - t)
E' = E'0 eiω((x-vt)/(c -v) - t)
E' ≠ E
Is this correct?

The question isn't if E' is different from E. The question is if it satisfies Maxwell's equations in both frames.

Dale said:
The question is if it satisfies Maxwell's equations in both frames.
Do you mean that I have to check whether E satisfies Maxwell's equations(or Maxwell's wave equations ?) in ether frame and E' satisfies Maxwell's equations in S' frame?
They have to (as I have taken them as solutions of Maxwell's wave equations in their respective frames).

Dale said:
The question is whether or not it still satisfies Maxwell's equations.
When you say Maxwell's equations, you mean Maxwell's equations of electrodynamics or Maxwell's wave equation?

Pushoam said:
Maxwell's equations of electrodynamics
This one. When I say "Maxwell's equations" that is always what I mean.

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
When you say Maxwell's equations, you mean Maxwell's equations of electrodynamics or Maxwell's wave equation?
Both. The wave equation is derived from the electrodynamic ones. That's why we say that a plane wave moving with speed c is a solution of Maxwell's equations and a plane wave moving at any other speed is not.

The wave equation, from Maxwell's equations, is ##(c^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x}^2}-\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{t}^2})E=0##.

##E=E_0e^{ik(x-ct)}## is a solution to that equation. ##E=E_0e^{ik(x-c't)}## where ##c'=c-v## is not.

Likes Pushoam
The problem is to define (!) Galileo transformations on the quantities in Maxwell's equations such that these equations stay form-invariant. That turns out to be impossible, and that's how Einstein found the modern interpretation of Lorentz transformations, i.e., that observations clearly show that the Galilei-Newton spacetime is inaccurate and Einstein-Minkoski spacetime is a much better approximation, which is only invalidated by gravity, which needs General Relativity with its completely changed view of spacetime as a dynamical entity.

1. What is the EM wave equation?

The EM wave equation is a mathematical representation of how electromagnetic waves propagate through space. It describes the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave.

2. What is a Galilean transformation?

A Galilean transformation is a mathematical tool used to describe how physical quantities, such as position and velocity, change under different frames of reference. It is often used in classical mechanics to describe the transformation between different inertial frames.

3. Why is the variance of the EM wave equation under Galilean transformation important?

The variance of the EM wave equation under Galilean transformation is important because it allows us to understand how electromagnetic waves behave in different frames of reference. This is essential in many practical applications, such as in the design of antennas and communication systems.

4. How does the EM wave equation change under a Galilean transformation?

The EM wave equation remains unchanged under a Galilean transformation. This is because the transformation only affects the coordinates and not the physical quantities described by the equation.

5. What are the implications of the variance of the EM wave equation under Galilean transformation?

The implications of the variance of the EM wave equation under Galilean transformation include the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference, and that the laws of electromagnetism are the same in all inertial frames. This is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity.