Variances of Physics on Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the dynamic nature of human experience of physics on Earth and how various forces and phenomena, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and nuclear forces, play a role in our daily lives. The question of whether these forces are constantly changing and if there are any significant but less recognized phenomena is also explored. The importance of understanding the underlying principles of physics and the assumption that the laws of physics are the same for each observer are emphasized.

This topic is...

• Total voters
CleffedUp
Variances of "Physics" on Earth

This is a question on the dynamic nature of the human experience of physics on Earth.

The Earth orbits the Sun, the Sun and our solar system are moving in some sense (at least with respect to the expansion of the universe), and the entire universe is acting upon us to varying extents, most phenomena approaching infinitesimally small in strength like the gravity of Jupiter or the occasional quantum tunneling of your atoms from your body, while others like solar UV rays are sufficiently strong to contribute to cancer. So it seems reasonable to suppose that the "physics," in the broadest sense, of life on Earth is constantly changing.

Do you agree with this supposition? What do we experience most from beyond or within the Earth that alters our physiology? What are the most prominent dynamic phenomena or forces we experience -- such as solar UV radiation, tectonic shifts, magnetosphere fluctuations, etc. -- that we humans don't generally recognize? Or, in metaphor, how would a physicist enumerate the features of the "weather" on Earth to include phenomena significant but less prominent the rain and the clouds and the sky?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Electric charge, attraction and repulsion is the predominate force in human existence.

minorwork said:
Electric charge, attraction and repulsion is the predominate force in human existence.

While I do uunderstand your line of thinking, you arent thinking abotu the 4 fundamental forces of physics, and not considering how the things you are mentioning don't change those values.
sorry, this msg was ment for the thread starter, not you minorwork. my bad on the reply button.

the other guy said:
While I do understand your line of thinking, you aren't thinking about the 4 fundamental forces of physics, and not considering how the things you are mentioning don't change those values.
sorry, this msg was meant for the thread starter, not you minorwork. my bad on the reply button.
Boy are you fortunate I previewed my reply. I'll clarify my first answer maybe. It was pretty hard to tell what the OP had in mind. You're saying you DO know has me wondering if you are psychic.

A lack of support is one of the instinctual fears of a human infant. Loud noises, the other. Lack of support though is so ingrained that a newborn infant is able to grasp a rope or hair in its hands enough to support its own weight. That support sensed is the repulsive forces of the electric charge which is generally thought of as the electromagnetic force. Sure gravity, the weakest of the four fundamental forces, may attract humans into range of some repulsion at the seat of our pants, soles of our feet, or that rope or hair grasped in our hands. Otherwise there is weightlessness sensed by the inner ear mechanisms -- as well as many others -- that, historically, has meant an imminent annihilation of a continuing existence.

Th OP asked, more or less, "what was the most dynamic force humans experience that we don't generally recognize." I stand by my previous answer that we would not be able to experience touch for one thing without electromagnetic charges. We wouldn't be able to cohere as a colony of diverse cells except by the attractiveness of electric charge's "stickiness" characterized by collagen.

While you are right, I have to metnion that it can't just be touch. Without gravity, the growth process from infant up would result in a slimey puddle of person :). All of the forces play an equal role. without the nuclear forces, our atoms woudlnt hold together, or stay in the right shapes, (electrons at the right distances) either. All for forces

gravity
electromagnetism (has anybody figured out how its the same as gravity yet?)
weak nuclear
strong nuclear

CleffedUp said:
This is a question on the dynamic nature of the human experience of physics on Earth.

The Earth orbits the Sun, the Sun and our solar system are moving in some sense (at least with respect to the expansion of the universe), and the entire universe is acting upon us to varying extents, most phenomena approaching infinitesimally small in strength like the gravity of Jupiter or the occasional quantum tunneling of your atoms from your body, while others like solar UV rays are sufficiently strong to contribute to cancer. So it seems reasonable to suppose that the "physics," in the broadest sense, of life on Earth is constantly changing.

Do you agree with this supposition? What do we experience most from beyond or within the Earth that alters our physiology? What are the most prominent dynamic phenomena or forces we experience -- such as solar UV radiation, tectonic shifts, magnetosphere fluctuations, etc. -- that we humans don't generally recognize? Or, in metaphor, how would a physicist enumerate the features of the "weather" on Earth to include phenomena significant but less prominent the rain and the clouds and the sky?
You do not make it clear precisely what your supposition amounts to. You speak of "physics changing", when what you describe looks more like "conditions changing" without any apparent reason to imagine that "physics" in the sense of the underlying principles according to which we have empiric and analytic support for thinking we understand some aspects of the behaviour of the universe well enough to formulate effectively predictive and falsifiable propositions as hypotheses.
Among these basic principles, or possibly meta-principles, one of the most basic is that the "laws of physics" are the same for each observer.
If you cannot support some reason to reject, replace, or at least rationally doubt, that assumption, then I am not sure where you are going with your question, or even why.
Give it a good thunk and try us again.
Jon

I don't know know about this, I just like polls.

FAQ: Variances of Physics on Earth

1. What factors contribute to the variances of physics on Earth?

The variances of physics on Earth are primarily influenced by factors such as gravity, atmospheric conditions, and the Earth's magnetic field. These factors can affect the behavior of objects and the propagation of waves, leading to variations in physical phenomena such as motion, energy, and electromagnetism.

2. How does gravity impact the variances of physics on Earth?

Gravity is a fundamental force that affects all objects on Earth. Its strength and direction can vary depending on location, altitude, and the density of surrounding mass. These variations in gravity can impact the behavior and movement of objects, as well as the measurement of weight and mass.

3. What role does the atmosphere play in the variances of physics on Earth?

The Earth's atmosphere is made up of different layers and composition, which can affect the propagation of light, sound, and other forms of energy. It can also create resistance and turbulence, altering the motion of objects and the behavior of waves. Atmospheric conditions such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also impact the physical properties of materials.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field influence the variances of physics on Earth?

The Earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in the planet's core. This field can interact with charged particles in the atmosphere and solar winds, creating phenomena such as the auroras. It can also affect the behavior of compasses, as well as the navigation and communication systems that rely on electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there other external factors that contribute to the variances of physics on Earth?

Aside from gravity, atmosphere, and the Earth's magnetic field, there are other external factors that can impact the variances of physics on Earth. These can include geology, topography, and the rotation of the Earth. Natural events such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and weather patterns can also influence the physical properties and behaviors of objects on Earth.