1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation and Changing factors help

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "If the circumference of a circle changes by a factor of 3, then its area changes by a factor of ____."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to start.

Recently I have been learning about the changing of factors and I'm having trouble. I do not understand where to start my problem and/or plug in numbers.If someone could give me a head start or a hint at how to approach this problem that would be great because I have many problems like this that I need to complete. Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2
    Welcome to physics forums!

Well the only thing that can change is r because it is not a constant like Pi or 2.

Hope that helps.
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider the situation before you changed anything. Call the initial radius [itex] r_{old} [/itex] Then the "old' circumference and area are

[tex] C_{old} = 2 \pi r_{old} [/tex] and [tex] A_{old} = \pi r_{old}^2 [/tex]

Now after you made the chaneg, write everything in terms of the new radius:
    [tex] C_{new} = 2 \pi r_{new} [/tex] and [tex] A_{new} = \pi r_{new}^2 [/tex]

Your goal is to find the ratio [itex] \frac{A_{new}}{A_{old}} [/itex] .Obviously, this is simply (from the above formula)

[tex] \frac{A_{new}}{A_{old}} = \frac{r_{new}^2}{r_{old}^2} [/tex]

Now, use the information provided that [itex] C_{new} = 3 C_{old} [/itex]. From this and the equations given above, you can figure out what [itex] r_{new} [/itex] is in terms of [itex] r_{old} [/itex], right? In other words, find the ratio [itex] \frac{r_{new}}{r_{old}} [/itex] . Then plug it back in the above equation.
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    Okay, thanks alot both of you. I appreciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?