Variational Method - Gaussian Trial Wavefucntion

In summary, The conversation discusses using the variational method to prove that an attractive potential, regardless of its depth, always has at least one bound state in one dimension. The approach involves using a gaussian trial wavefunction and finding the scalar product to determine the constant. The main challenge is integrating the gaussian function, but a list of integrals of exponential functions is provided as a resource.
Unto

Homework Statement

Use the variational method with a gaussian trial wavefunction ψ(x) = A[itex]e^{\frac{-a^{2}x^{2}}{2}}[/itex] to prove that in 1 dimension an attractive potential of the form shown, no matter how shallow, always has at least 1 bound state.

*Figure is of a potential V(x) that has a minimum on the negative y axis, and tends to 0 as x -> ∞ and -∞*

THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES SHOWN ON THE DIAGRAM, THIS IS A GENERALISED POTENTIAL

HINT: prove that it is always possible to make the trial energy negative.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_{0}[/itex] [itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\frac{\left\langle ψ | \hat{H} | ψ \right\rangle}{\left\langle ψ | ψ \right\rangle}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We don't quite know that Hamilitonian, but we do know that it has a kinetic energy part. So I've written the Hamiltonian as:

[itex]\hat{H}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-h^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}} + V(x)[/itex] Since the potential is unknown at this point.

State should end up negative but larger than or equal to the bound state due to the above condition.

I tried to normal the scalar [itex]\left\langleψ|ψ\right\rangle[/itex] to start things off so I could find the constant, but I have no clue on how to integrate this stupid gaussian function. I used wolfram alpha and I basically get A = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2a}{\sqrt{\pi}}}[/itex]

So I'm stuck at the first hurdle. I need to find the scalar product and then superimpose the hamiltonian and integrate to see if I meet the condition.

Otherwise, what do I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas guys? It's the gaussian that's irritating me. How do I integrate it?

1. What is the Variational Method?

The Variational Method is a mathematical technique used to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system. It involves choosing a trial wavefunction and using it to calculate an upper bound for the ground state energy.

2. What is a Gaussian Trial Wavefunction?

A Gaussian Trial Wavefunction is a type of trial wavefunction that is commonly used in the Variational Method. It takes the form of a Gaussian curve and is characterized by a few parameters that can be adjusted to better approximate the true wavefunction of the system.

3. How is the Variational Method used in quantum mechanics?

The Variational Method is used to find an upper bound for the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system. This is done by choosing a trial wavefunction and using it to calculate an expectation value for the energy. By varying the parameters of the trial wavefunction, the energy can be minimized and an upper bound for the ground state energy can be obtained.

4. What are the advantages of using the Variational Method?

The Variational Method is advantageous because it is a relatively simple and efficient way to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system. It also allows for the use of different trial wavefunctions, making it applicable to a wide range of systems.

5. What are the limitations of the Variational Method?

The Variational Method is limited in that it can only provide an upper bound for the ground state energy. It also relies on the choice of a suitable trial wavefunction, which may not always be easy to determine. Additionally, the method can become computationally intensive for more complex systems.