Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector acceleration

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    What is the equivalent vector of an acceleration a in terms of vector. Isnt it 1/2 at? In my book it is at

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    If the poster can be more clear about what is his difficulty one can give some help.

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    there is an acceleration vector. What will be the velocity vector for that motion for time t?

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4
    Given a vector for acceleration at time t one can find the vector for the velocity at the same time t by integrating with respect to t the vector for acceleration.

6. Nov 28, 2011 #5
    e.g

if [itex]\underline{a}[/itex] = 4t[itex]\underline{i}[/itex] + t[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\underline{j}[/itex]

then [itex]\underline{v}[/itex] = 2t[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\underline{i}[/itex]+ [itex]\frac{t^{3}}{3}[/itex][itex]\underline{j}[/itex] + some constant vector.

7. Nov 28, 2011 #6
    suppose a force is acting on a point with acceleration a. What would be the velocity vector for the same effect?

8. Nov 28, 2011 #7
    [itex]\underline{v}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\underline{a}[/itex]dt

but [itex]\underline{F}[/itex] = m[itex]\underline{a}[/itex]

therefore

[itex]\underline{v}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{\underline{F}}{m}[/itex]dt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook