1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector acceleration

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    What is the equivalent vector of an acceleration a in terms of vector. Isnt it 1/2 at? In my book it is at

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    If the poster can be more clear about what is his difficulty one can give some help.

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    there is an acceleration vector. What will be the velocity vector for that motion for time t?

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4
    Given a vector for acceleration at time t one can find the vector for the velocity at the same time t by integrating with respect to t the vector for acceleration.

6. Nov 28, 2011 #5
    e.g

if [itex]\underline{a}[/itex] = 4t[itex]\underline{i}[/itex] + t[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\underline{j}[/itex]

then [itex]\underline{v}[/itex] = 2t[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\underline{i}[/itex]+ [itex]\frac{t^{3}}{3}[/itex][itex]\underline{j}[/itex] + some constant vector.

7. Nov 28, 2011 #6
    suppose a force is acting on a point with acceleration a. What would be the velocity vector for the same effect?

8. Nov 28, 2011 #7
    [itex]\underline{v}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\underline{a}[/itex]dt

but [itex]\underline{F}[/itex] = m[itex]\underline{a}[/itex]

therefore

[itex]\underline{v}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{\underline{F}}{m}[/itex]dt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook