1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Addition of Electric Forces in a Plane

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    The problem I'm trying to solve involves the effect that two charges has on a third and I need to find the magnitude of the resulting force. In this particular problem it's the effect of A and B on C.

The work I've done so far is attached so please take a look. I've been trying to add together the x and y components of each force to find the total, but any answer I've come up with is not accepted. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

didn't you misplaced your results in the end, lad?

you have 1 force with 2 components (as your established axis implies) and another force 1 component.

I see you've written Fx = (number) + 0 which doesn't make sense with your previous work.

The result will be obtained by

[tex] \vec{R} = \vec{F}_{AC} + \vec{F}_{BC} [/tex]

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    Ok so I've been trying to that exact thing. Since there is a repulsion between A and C, F_AC will be negative yes? And F_BC will be positive due to the attraction between B and C? Something has to be wrong with those assumptions on my part since I've checked the math repeatedly and F_AC + F_BC is not giving me a correct answer.

5. Jan 21, 2008 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I checked your numbers, the result is other, you might have made a mistake in the component addition to obtain the resultant magnitude or in calculating the resultant magnitude. Everything else is fine.

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    So the magnitude of the total force equals F_ac + F_bc. If this is true, then masteringphysics should be accepting my answer of 2.83*10^-5, which it is not. I'm very frustrated at this point. I've only entered 8 possible answers with nothing correct. I know there has to be some silly little mistake I'm making here.

It accepted my answers for the first two parts of the question. The sum of the x components is 8.47*10^-5 and the sum of the y components is -5.64*10^-5. Like you said, my math is correct, at least in respect to that portion of the question.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?