Vector analysis, calculate path

In summary, the conversation discusses finding line integrals over three unit circles on a conservative set. The attempt at a solution involves using small circles around the unit circles and evaluating the integrals along those paths. The answer is found by subtracting the integrals along the small circles from the integrals along the unit circles.
Hannibal123

Homework Statement

I have these vectorfields defined on the specified set. All of them are conservative on their set.
upload_2016-1-17_12-14-15.png

Also i have three unit circles C1, C2 and C3 centered respectively on (0,0) , (-2,0) and (-1,0)

I need to find the line integrals over all of them on H
upload_2016-1-17_12-17-23.png

(beregn = calculate, og = and. (I'm Danish))

2. The attempt at a solution
Since H is conservative i think both integrals in (b) equals zero because you can just "repair" the hole in the middle. Not sure about (c)

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-17_12-13-10.png
    upload_2016-1-17_12-13-10.png
    9 KB · Views: 397
Hannibal123 said:

Homework Statement

I have these vectorfields defined on the specified set. All of them are conservative on their set.
View attachment 94407

Also i have three unit circles C1, C2 and C3 centered respectively on (0,0) , (-2,0) and (-1,0)

I need to find the line integrals over all of them on H
View attachment 94408
(beregn = calculate, og = and. (I'm Danish))

2. The attempt at a solution
Since H is conservative i think both integrals in (b) equals zero because you can just "repair" the hole in the middle. Not sure about (c)

You can draw small circles S2 of small radius r around (-2,0) and S0 of small radius r around (0,0). Suppose S2 intersects C3 at A and B (where A is nearly (-2,r) and B is nearly (-2,-r)),and S0 intersects C3 at C and D (where C is nearly (0,-r) and D is nearly (0,r)). Then your integral in (c) equals
[tex] I_c = I_1 + I_2 + I_3 + I_4, [/tex]
where
[tex] \begin{array}{l}I_1 = \int_D^A \vec{H} \cdot d\vec{r} \\
I_2 = \int_B^C \vec{H} \cdot d\vec{r} \\
I_3 = \int_C^D \vec{H} \cdot d\vec{r} \; \text{along C3}\\
I_4 = \int_A^B \vec{H} \cdot d\vec{r} \; \text{along C3}
\end{array} [/tex]
Also, let ##I_3'## be the integral from C to D along the small circle S0 (clockwise, inside the big circle C3) and let ##I_4'## be the integral from A to B along the small circle S2 (clockwise, inside C3). We have ##I_1 + I_2 + I_3' + I_4' = 0## because there are no singularities inside the corresponding closed path. Thus, the answer ##I_c = I_3+I_4-I_3' - I_4'##. We can try to evaluate ##I_3 - I_3'## directly, since inside the small circle S0 the direct path (along C3) from C to D is almost a straight line from (0,-r) to (0,r), so ##I_3 - I_3'## is an integral along a closed semicircle, where the singularity in H at (0,0) does not appear because x = 0 along the vertical line through (0,0); that is, the term ##y dx/(x^2+y^2) = 0## because dx = 0 on the vertical line, and ##x dy/(x^2+y^2) = 0## because ##x=0## on the vertical line.

Last edited:

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze and manipulate vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves performing operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication on vectors to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that is fully described by its magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

3. How do you calculate the path of a moving object using vector analysis?

To calculate the path of a moving object, you would first determine the initial position and velocity vectors of the object. Then, you would use the principles of vector addition and subtraction to calculate the object's position at different points in time. By repeating this process, you can determine the entire path of the object.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, design structures and machines, and create realistic computer-generated images.

5. Can vector analysis be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, vector analysis can be used in both two-dimensional and three-dimensional space. In three-dimensional space, vectors have three components (x, y, and z) instead of just two (x and y) in two-dimensional space. The principles of vector analysis remain the same in both cases, but the calculations become more complex in three dimensions.