Proving Independence of x in Line Integral for Vector Calculus Proof

In summary, this is a proof of the following theorem: if you take a path from a fixed point to a point that is a function of x and y, then the x and y parts of the path integral are the same.
jackiefrost
This isn't homework. I was browsing through my old James Stewart multivariable calc textbook and am having a mental block concering an aspect of the "proof", shown in the file attachment, below. I've highlighted the portion giving me trouble.

My confusion concerns how the first integral (the line integral for C1) can be regarded as independent of x. The integral isn't independent of r which I assume would be dependent on both x and y.

Thanks in advance...

Sorry - the file attachment was hard to read - here is a link instead...

http://home.comcast.net/~ut1880h/Files/stewart_theorem.jpg"

jf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jackiefrost said:
My confusion concerns how the first integral (the line integral for C1) can be regarded as independent of x. The integral isn't independent of r which I assume would be dependent on both x and y.

Hi jackiefrost! :smile:

The integral is [tex]\int_{(a.b)}^{(x_1,y)}\bold{F}\cdot d\bold{r}[/tex]

This is a function of x1 and y only.

If you increase or decrease x a little (keeping y the same), you can still use the same x1 … so, locally, x1 is independent of x (and so is y, of course). :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi jackiefrost!
If you increase or decrease x a little (keeping y the same), you can still use the same x1 … so, locally, x1 is independent of x (and so is y, of course). :smile:
Hi tt,
Thanks for the insight. Once was I blind but now I see... :bugeye:

I'm starting to appreciate how cleverly this proof is structured to efficiently arrive at the desire end. It kinda tickles my head in a way that feels good (if you know what I mean) :smile:

jf

thou once wast lost, but now art found …

jackiefrost said:
Hi tt,
Thanks for the insight. Once was I blind but now I see... :bugeye:

I'm starting to appreciate how cleverly this proof is structured to efficiently arrive at the desire end. It kinda tickles my head in a way that feels good (if you know what I mean) :smile:

jf

Hi jf,

it is a champagne amongst proofs! :smile:

hallelujah! :approve:

this is a trivial fact that follows instantly from the FTC. write your field as Pdx + Qdy, and then define the primitive function f(p) as the path integral of Pdx + Qdy taken along any path from a fixed point a to p.

all you need to do is show the x partial of f is P and the y partial is Q.

since the integral is the same for all paths, you choose the path to make this calculation easy.

e.g. to calculate ∂f/∂x make the path piecewise rectangular, with the last bit parallel to the x axis.

then the part of the integral for Qdy is zero (since y is not changing along a path parallel to the x axis), and the derivative of the Pdx bit is P by the FTC. etc...

1. What is a vector calc proof question?

A vector calc proof question is a type of mathematical problem that involves proving a given statement or theorem using vector calculus techniques. These questions typically require knowledge of vector operations, such as dot and cross products, as well as properties of vectors in three-dimensional space.

2. How do I approach a vector calc proof question?

To approach a vector calc proof question, it is important to first understand the given statement or theorem and the definitions involved. Then, use known vector calculus techniques and properties to manipulate the given information and arrive at the desired conclusion. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use geometric intuition to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common techniques used in vector calc proof questions?

Some common techniques used in vector calc proof questions include vector algebra, dot and cross products, vector projections, and vector identities such as the triple product rule and vector triple product formula. These techniques can be used to simplify expressions and manipulate vectors in order to prove a given statement.

4. What are some tips for solving vector calc proof questions?

One tip for solving vector calc proof questions is to carefully read and understand the given statement or theorem before attempting to solve it. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and to use diagrams and geometric intuition to visualize the problem. Additionally, it is important to double check all calculations and verify that the final result satisfies the given statement or theorem.

5. Are there any resources available to help with vector calc proof questions?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with vector calc proof questions. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems with solutions. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor who is knowledgeable in vector calculus. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where students can ask for help and discuss strategies for solving vector calc proof questions.