1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus II: Divergence

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A smooth vector field F has divF(1,2,3) = 5. Estimate the flux of F out of a small sphere of radius 0.01 centered at the point (1,2,3).

2. Relevant equations

Cartesian Coordinate Definition of Divergence: If F= F1i + F2j +F3k, then divF=dF1/dx + dF2/dy + dF3/dz

3. The attempt at a solution

I graphed the problem in hopes that a method to solve this would come to me, but it didn't. Any hints to get me started on this problem? Thank you for any time and effort.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what is the definition of flux through a surface?

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Flux is the amount of "something" passing through a surface. Hmmm. If divergence = flux/volume, can I just take the volume of the sphere with radius 0.01 and multiply it by the flux divergence of 5? That sounds right to me.

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    Yup. I got the right answer. Thank you for sparking something so simply. Have a good day.

6. May 9, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got the right answer, but your method isn't really correct. The definiton of flux involves an integral...what is it?

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    The integral over the surface S of Vector field F dotted with dA

8. May 9, 2010 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, and what does the divergence theorem tell you that will equal when your surface is closed, like the boundary of a sphere?

9. May 9, 2010 #8
    We are learning the divergence theorem tomorrow :\ I'll get back to you on that one. Lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook