1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate divergence of a vector over an area

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight on how to solve this problem. This was a solid mechanics exam question and I wasn't able to finish it because I'm rather weak in math.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

WOxeM7f.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Recall divergence theorem for part ii. ∫div(V)dA = ∫V⋅ndS where n is normal to the surface.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part i.
    Not an issue, I can solve it easily.

Part ii.
    I can apply divergence theorem no problem.
    For the n vector field I get:
    n1 = -e2
    n3 = -e1
    n2 = .707(e1 + e2)

The problem is that I've been out of school for quite a while, and I can't remember how to successfully integrate over the surface (perimeter) now. I realize I need to break it up in to parts for each line of the surface, but it's been years since I've taken calculus.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

For c1, you will have ##\int_0^1 V\cdot n_1 \, dx_1##.
    For c3, you will have ##\int_0^1 V\cdot n_2 \, dx_2 ##.
    For c2, it gets a little tougher.
    ##\int_{c2} V\cdot n_2 dc2##

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    For c2, should I do a double integral (x1 and x2, both from 0 to 1) of V⋅n2?

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

It might be easier to directly compute the Area integral
    ##\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-x_1} div(V) dx_2dx_1 ##

6. Oct 22, 2014 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

I don't think that is right, you would be taking the integral over an area. you want the integral over the line.

7. Oct 22, 2014 #6
    Thanks RUber, I think you've provided the help I needed to finish it. It was required to perform divergence theorem for the exam though, I'll give it a shot with both methods and see how the solutions compare.

8. Oct 22, 2014 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

Nevermind this...that doesn't make any sense.
    ---
    Try integrating over x1, and define x2 in terms of x1 along the line. That should do the trick.

9. Oct 22, 2014 #8
    I solved it, I get 1/2 using both methods. Thanks again for the help RUber, it helped set me on the write path.

10. Oct 22, 2014 #9

RUber

Homework Helper

When I worked it out, I still had the ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2}}## in the answer.

11. Oct 22, 2014 #10
    I'm not sure where the square root comes from, but I believe the accepted solution was 1/2 when we went over the exam (he just didn't take the time to go over something trivial like integration since most of my peers are coming straight out of undergrad >.<). I calculated it both by using divergence theorem to integrate over the line (more complicated) and by integrating the divergence over the area directly.
    FmqC9lS.jpg

12. Oct 22, 2014 #11

RUber

Homework Helper

Aha, I forgot to multiply by the ##\sqrt{2}## in the dS term.
    Good work.

13. Oct 23, 2014 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why (in post #7) "Nevermind this...that doesn't make any sense." ?
    I thought I had div V = 3x2 and that would be a simple integral, so I'm grossly overlooking sonething ?

14. Oct 23, 2014 #13

RUber

Homework Helper

Thanks BvU, I was clearly overthinking things and convinced myself I was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted