Vector Calculus Question (I don't understand)

In summary: So, in this case, the one-to-one correspondence is between the interval [0,3] and the square [0,4], because the graph of T(u, v) is a straight line on this portion of the parabola.
der.physika

Homework Statement

Let D* = [0,1]x[0,1] and define T on D* by T(u,v)=(-u^2+4u, v). Find the image D. Is T one-to one

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea... I don't know how to do it.
The solution is [0,3] x [0,1]... yes it is one to one.
am I supposed to say det A does not equal zero or use the u=u' v=v' approach?
and... how do I find D? i don't know how to go about this.
Could someone give me a similar example and solve that?

Physics news on Phys.org
der.physika said:

Homework Statement

Let D* = [0,1]x[0,1] and define T on D* by T(u,v)=(-u^2+4u, v). Find the image D. Is T one-to one

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea... I don't know how to do it.
The solution is [0,3] x [0,1]... yes it is one to one.
am I supposed to say det A does not equal zero or use the u=u' v=v' approach?
and... how do I find D? i don't know how to go about this.
Could someone give me a similar example and solve that?
This seems pretty straightforward to me, as the image vector doesn't have u and v tangled together. For fixed u, T maps v to v. For fixed v, T maps u to -u^2 + 4u, and this graph is a parabola.

This is kind of a simple-minded way to look at this problem, but I think it will work.

Mark44 said:
This seems pretty straightforward to me, as the image vector doesn't have u and v tangled together. For fixed u, T maps v to v. For fixed v, T maps u to -u^2 + 4u, and this graph is a parabola.

This is kind of a simple-minded way to look at this problem, but I think it will work.

Okay... so I took your advice.

so I thought about what you said

so T(u,v) maps u => -u^2 + 4u
and v to v

so for u [0,1] is the interval... so that means [0, -1+4] = [0,3]

for v [0,1] goes to [0,1]

[0,3] x [0,1] so that means... it maps the square into a rectangle.

But... how do I show that the mapping is one-to one??

Let's call the outputs (w, z), so that T(u, v) = (w, z), with w = -u2 + 4u and z = v. Show that (w1, z1) = (w2, z2) ==> (u1, v1) = (u2, v2).

It's also helpful to look at the portion of the parabola for which 0 <= u <= 1. Quadratic functions aren't normally one-to-one, but if the domain is limited in the right way, the limit domain version can be one-to-one.

1. What is vector calculus and why is it important?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and the operations performed on them. It is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields involving motion and forces.

2. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Some common applications of vector calculus include analyzing motion and forces in physics, calculating electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and determining fluid flow in engineering and meteorology.

3. How is vector calculus different from regular calculus?

Vector calculus differs from regular calculus in that it deals with quantities that have both magnitude and direction, whereas regular calculus typically deals with scalar quantities. Vector calculus also involves studying vector fields and their properties, whereas regular calculus focuses on functions of one or more variables.

4. What are some important theorems in vector calculus?

Some important theorems in vector calculus include the fundamental theorem of calculus, the gradient theorem, Green's theorem, and the divergence theorem. These theorems provide powerful tools for evaluating integrals and solving problems in vector calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and regular calculus. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups can aid in understanding and mastering vector calculus concepts.