1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector component of the weight of an object

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    Graduated College over thirty years ago. In physics, I recall a a question where one is required to weigh an object beyond the capacity of the scale. The answer involved resting one edge of the object on scale and the other on a separate support higher than the scale such that the object created and angle from the perpendicular . I believe that the cosine of the angle from the perpendicular played in the solution. Guidance sought

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Philpense. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

It sounds do-able. Consider something uniform like a length of sawn timber. Providing you can ensure the upper support prevents the beam slipping, then it appears the force on the lower support (i.e., the scales) will be cos θ x half the weight, where θ is the beam's inclination to the horizontal.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook