1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl of a field in spherical polar coordinates

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a field w=wφ(r,θ)eφ^ (e^ is supposed to be 'e hat', a unit vector)
    Find wφ(r,θ) given the curl is zero and find a potential for w.
    2. Relevant equations
    I can't type the matrix for curl in curvilinear, don't even know where to start! I've been given it in the form ##\frac{1}{r^2 sin(\theta)}## multiplied by a determinant with top row:
    er^, reθ^, rsin(θ) eφ^

Second row:
    ∂/∂r, ∂/∂θ, ∂/∂φ

Third row:
    ar, raθ, rsin(θ)aφ

3. The attempt at a solution
    ar, raθ = 0 and my aφ is wφ. So I'm left with

##\frac{1}{r^2 sin(\theta)}## ∂(wφrsin(θ)er^)/∂θ - ##\frac{1}{r^2 sin(\theta)}##(reθ^)∂(wφrsin(θ))/∂r

So I evaluated the partial derivatives, set each individual component to zero and get a partial differential equation. We have not been taught how to solve these, so I can only assume it's the wrong method... I gave it a go as the two equations are separable but they don't give w as a function of r and θ and I have no initial conditions to find c with!

After differentiating I had:
    [rcos(θ)wφ + rsin(θ) ∂wφ/∂θ] er^ - reθ^ [sin(θ)wφ + rsinθ ∂wφ/∂r] all multiplied by ##\frac{1}{r^2 sin(\theta)}## And both components should individually equal zero, I think.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. May 5, 2015 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted