1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl of a function and vector field

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm having some difficulty with a conceptual question on a practice test I was using to study. I have the answer but not the solution unfortunately.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"For every differentiable function f = f(x,y,z) and differentiable 3-dimensional vector field F=F(x,y,z), the vector field Curl(fF) equals: "

2. Relevant equations
    curlF = ∇XF

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is apparently: fCurl(F)+∇f x F
    I am a little lost the process for this question. I attempted to "solve" the problem using a general case. Essentially I let F = <P, Q, R> and multiplied in "f," so fF = <fP, fQ, fR>.
    I then took the curl using the formula. I was left with the following:

curl(fF) = <d/dy(fR)-d/dz(fQ), d/dz(fP)-d/dx(fR), d/dx(fQ)-d/dy(fP)>

I am unsure of where to go from here. I originally was going to factor out "f," but then realized that that is not necessarily possible due to it being within the derivative operator. Any suggestions for a next step would be very helpful!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the product rule.

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    I don't know why I didn't think of that... Thank you, that was very helpful!

For anyone interested, I used product rule to differentiate everything and simplified to the following:

<f(Ry-Qz)+fyR-fzQ, f(Pz-Rx)+fzP-fxR, f(Qx-Py)+fxQ-fyP>

I then split the vector into a sum of vectors:

<f(Ry-Qz), f(Pz-Rx), f(Qx-Py)> + <fyR-fzQ, +fzP-fxR, fxQ-fyP>

The first vector being added is equal to fcurlF, and the second is quite clearly <fx, fy, fz> crossed with <P, Q, R>. Since <fx, fy, fz> is in fact ∇f, I rewrote the summation as fcurlF + (∇f)XF, which is of course the solution. Thanks again for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted