1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector differentiation of velocity (polar coord.)

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1
    The velocity of a particle moving in a plane in polar coordinates is

[tex]{\bf{v}} = v_r {\bf{\hat r}} + r\omega \hat \theta[/tex]

where [tex]v_r = \frac{{dr}}{{dt}}[/tex] and [tex]\omega = \frac{{d\theta }}{{dt}}[/tex].

By differentiating w.r.t. time, show that the acceleration of the particle is

[tex]{\bf{a}} = \left( {\frac{{dv_r }}{{dt}} - \omega ^2 r} \right){\bf{\hat r}} + \left( {2\omega v_r + r\frac{{d\omega }}{{dt}}} \right)\hat \theta[/tex]

(The no-subscript v should be bold, as should the a and the r's with hats.)

Okay, I'm confident I can work this one out, except for one thing: how does that [tex]\omega ^2 r[/tex] get into the derivative? I assume the [tex]\bf{\hat r}[/tex] is a unit vector, so the derivative of [tex]v_r[/tex] should just be [tex]{\frac{{dv_r }}{{dt}}[/tex] right? Anyway, if anyone could just explain that detail to me, I'll be on my way.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2
    I like writing in the dot notation because it helps me to remember the dependencies of each variable.

[tex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}=\dot{r}\hat{\mathbf{r}}+r\dot{\theta}\hat{\mathbf{\theta}}[/tex]

So r depends on time and theta depends on time, what are all the variables that now have r in them and theta in them? (Hint: unit vectors might count!)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook