Vector problem: distance between a point and a line

In summary, the conversation is about finding the height of a triangle formed by vectors a, b, and p. The solution involves finding the area of the parallelogram produced by BA and BP and dividing it by length AB. However, a mistake was made and the correct approach is to use the side p-a and p-b.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

26.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is d = |(a-b)x(p-b)|/|(b-a|). I first find out the area of the parallelogram produced by BA and BP and divide the area by length AB to get the height. Why am I wrong?

Attachments

• 26.png
    26.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 610
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a triangle formed by ##(\vec b - \vec a)##, ##(\vec p - \vec a)## and ##(\vec p - \vec b)##. Write its area in two different ways and set them equal.

Likes Clara Chung
kuruman said:
You have a triangle formed by ##(\vec b - \vec a)##, ##(\vec p - \vec a)## and ##(\vec p - \vec b)##. Write its area in two different ways and set them equal.
I see. I can also use the side p-a and p-b. Thank you.

What is a vector problem?

A vector problem involves finding the distance, direction, or magnitude of a vector in a given situation. It often requires using mathematical equations and geometric principles to solve.

What is the distance between a point and a line?

The distance between a point and a line is the shortest distance from the given point to any point on the line. It can be found by using the formula d = |ax + by + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where (x,y) is the coordinates of the point and ax + by + c = 0 is the equation of the line.

How do you find the closest point on a line to a given point?

To find the closest point on a line to a given point, you can use the formula (a + λb), where a is a known point on the line, b is the direction vector of the line, and λ is a scalar value that can be found using the dot product of the line's direction vector and a vector from the known point to the given point.

What is the difference between a vector and a line?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction, while a line is a geometric object that extends infinitely in both directions. A vector can be used to represent a line by specifying a direction and a point on the line, but they are not the same thing.

How can vector problems be applied in real life situations?

Vector problems can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, calculating the distance and direction of a plane from a given location, or determining the magnitude and direction of a force acting on an object. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.