Solving a Force Problem: Using Components of the Force

In summary, the figure has three vectors - V1, V2, and V3. V1 and V2 are perpendicular to each other, but V3 is not. The angle between V1 and V2 is 180 - (53.1 + 30) = 96.87, or to one decimal place, 96.9.
aimee3
http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/cjr8y68tsmk4nsw/images/3-f2357829f8/000.jpg

it's the picture on the bottom

P= 15
Q= 25

I was wondering if this problem can be done using components of the force, instead of using the parallelogram law or the triangle rule. I'm a little confused on vectors and am having a hard time trying to find the angles of vectors in order to do the cosine law.

i tried to break them up into components and said px, py, and qy were negative while qx is positive since that is the way it looks in the photo, but I'm not coming up with the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
aimee3 said:
http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/cjr8y68tsmk4nsw/images/3-f2357829f8/000.jpg

it's the picture on the bottom

P= 15
Q= 25

I was wondering if this problem can be done using components of the force, instead of using the parallelogram law or the triangle rule. I'm a little confused on vectors and am having a hard time trying to find the angles of vectors in order to do the cosine law.

i tried to break them up into components and said px, py, and qy were negative while qx is positive since that is the way it looks in the photo, but I'm not coming up with the right answer.

Sure you can do it by components. The "parallelogram law or the triangle rule" deal with components, only graphically.

Why don't you present your calculations here so we can have a look?

Oh, I actually got in now, I was using the wrong angles for them...
I was just wondering if you could also clarify how to find the angles when using the parallelogram law or triangle rule.. I'm still a bit unclear about that. When I add the vectors together, I can't figure out how to find the angles. Is that all geometry/?

aimee3 said:
Oh, I actually got in now, I was using the wrong angles for them...
I was just wondering if you could also clarify how to find the angles when using the parallelogram law or triangle rule.. I'm still a bit unclear about that. When I add the vectors together, I can't figure out how to find the angles. Is that all geometry/?

Yes, it's all geometry. Either sine or cosine rules, or carve the figure into right angle triangles and use Pythagoras (components!).

Thanks, for example, on this problem:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/XXHoR0HoR0XX/physicsquestiontwo.jpg?t=1298243404

and the solution is this:

http://www.cramster.com/solution/solution/858898

how would I know that the angle is 96.9 degrees?

The angle that V2 makes with the horizontal is about 53.1 degrees (according to the little 3-4-5 triangle next to it) This can be found as arctan(4/3). It is given that V1 makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal.

So the angle between V1 and V2 is 180 - (53.1 + 30) = 96.87, or to one decimal place, 96.9.

You'll have to look into how the angles in parallelograms relate to each other.

Thanks a lot for your help, I think i understand a bit better now.

What is a force problem?

A force problem is a physics problem that involves determining the magnitude and direction of forces acting on an object in order to predict its motion or behavior.

What are the components of a force?

The components of a force are the two perpendicular vectors that make up the force: the horizontal component and the vertical component. These components are used to break down the force into its x and y directions.

How do you solve a force problem using components of the force?

To solve a force problem using components, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use trigonometry and vector addition to find the x and y components of each force. Finally, you can add up all the components to find the net force on the object.

What is the importance of solving force problems?

Solving force problems allows us to understand and predict the motion and behavior of objects in the physical world. This is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

What are some common mistakes when solving force problems using components?

Some common mistakes when solving force problems using components include not properly identifying all the forces acting on the object, not using the correct trigonometric functions to find the components, and forgetting to account for the direction of the forces.