How Can I Calculate the Range of Values for Vector Math in 3D Art?

In summary: The way I would approach this problem is to try to find a way to generate a range of values for ##\mathbf{v}## that satisfies the condition given above.In summary, the conversation discusses a software developer working on media art projects involving generative art algorithms in 3D spaces. They are seeking help with a problem involving vector math and finding a way to calculate a range of values for a vector that meets certain conditions. The developer is open to any suggestions or tips to help solve the problem.
davidjonas
Hi!

I am a software developer and at the moment I am working on media art projects dealing with generative art algorithms in 3D spaces. I have been stuck for a few hours with a little problem dealing with vector math and I can't reach a conclusion. If someone here could give me a little hand it would be greatly apreciated!

I have a random vector u(x,y,z) and a vector w(0,1,0). Vector u makes an angle of [tex]\alpha[/tex] with w.
I want to generate a vector v, from random values, only making sure that the vector r=u+v makes an angle with w in the range [[tex]\alpha[/tex]-C, [tex]\alpha[/tex]+C] (being C a constant value).

What I need is to find a way to calculate the range of values for xv, yv, zv that obey to the referred condition.

If someone knows how this can be done or has any sugestions, tips, concepts to research, directions or anything that could be even slightly helpfull please do not hesitate in replying, every try to help is apreciated.

Thank you in advance!

David Jonas

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If ##\varphi## is the angle between ##\mathbf{w}## and ##\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{u}+\mathbf{v}## then we have
$$
\cos \varphi = \dfrac{\langle\mathbf{r},\mathbf{w} \rangle}{||\mathbf{r}||\cdot ||\mathbf{w}||}= \dfrac{r_y}{||\mathbf{r}||}= \dfrac{u_y+v_y}{\sqrt{\left( u_x+v_x \right)^2+\left( u_y+v_y \right)^2+\left( u_z+v_z \right)^2}}
$$
This is the condition you have. Now there are many possible choices for ##\mathbf{v}## which has been to be expected in 3D space.

FAQ: How Can I Calculate the Range of Values for Vector Math in 3D Art?

1. What is vector math?

Vector math is a mathematical system used to describe and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space. It involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. Why is vector math important in 3D art?

Vector math is important in 3D art because it allows artists to accurately position and transform objects in three-dimensional space. It also enables the creation of complex shapes and animations by manipulating vectors to create different movements and effects.

3. What are some common operations in vector math for 3D art?

Some common operations in vector math for 3D art include translation, rotation, scaling, and skewing. These operations are used to manipulate objects in three-dimensional space and create different effects and movements.

4. How does vector math differ from traditional algebra?

Vector math differs from traditional algebra in that it involves manipulating quantities with both magnitude and direction, whereas traditional algebra deals with quantities that only have magnitude. Vector math also operates in three-dimensional space, whereas traditional algebra is typically limited to two dimensions.

5. Can non-mathematicians learn vector math for 3D art?

Yes, non-mathematicians can learn vector math for 3D art. While a basic understanding of math concepts such as geometry and trigonometry may be helpful, many software programs used for 3D art have built-in tools for manipulating vectors and do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

Back