1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector of a certain length given unit vector

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a unit vector

[tex]frac{{{\rm - 2}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{\rm 7}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{{\rm - 6}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }}[/tex]

I need to figure out a vector with a length of 4 with that as a unit vector. Now I'm thinking that I can just do…

[tex]t(\frac{{{\rm - 2}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{\rm 7}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }},\frac{{{\rm - 6}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})[/tex]

Distribute T and then do the [tex]\sqrt {a^2 + b^2 + c^2 } [/tex]

Thing to get the length to equal 4?

[tex]4 = \sqrt {(\frac{{{\rm - 2t}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})^2 + (\frac{{{\rm 7t}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})^2 + (\frac{{{\rm - 6t}}}{{\sqrt {{\rm 89}} }})^2 } [/tex]

??? Is that how you would figure it out?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2
    ???
    You have a unit vector right? and you need a vector in the same direction as this and of length 4?

Since the unit vector has length 1, all you need to do is multiply the unit vector by 4!!! Its as simple as that.

unit vector= ai + bj + ck
    root of( a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = 1
    new vector= 4ai + 4bj + 4ck
    its length= root of( 4^2 * 1) = 4

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha damn i'm dumb

Moments like these make me question my understanding of math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?