1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Vector potential of an infinitely long cylinder

1. May 12, 2018 #1
    I have seen the other threads on an infinitely long wires vector potential.Its obvious that really small wires are just infinitely long cylinders:

∇xA=B
    ∫∇xA.da=∫B.da
    ∫A.dl = ∫B.da = φ(flux)
    For an infinite cylinder
    A.2πri=B.2πrih
    A=Bh
    A=μ0*I*h/(2π*r)

Now for a cylinder of radius limr->0 => μ0I/2π which im sure is wrong (interesting multiply this by r and u get B field of a wire)

Obviously for infinitely long wire:
    A = (μ0/I2π)(log(Λρ+√1+Λ2ρ2))

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2018 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equation using ## B ## to try to generate ## A ## is somewhat clever, but your path of integration is inconsistent with the area over which you took the flux. By Stokes theorem, the path of ## \oint A \cdot dl ## needs to be around the region of the flux of ## B ##. ## \\ ## The equation you need is of the form ## \vec{A}(x)=\int \frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \frac{\vec{J}(x')}{|x-x'| } \, d^3 x' ##. For ## \vec{J}=J_z \hat{z} ##, ## \vec{A} ## will only have a z-component.

4. May 15, 2018 #3
    Hmm , so which path of integration would i take? or is that not possible?

5. May 18, 2018 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

[corrected typos indicated in #5]

This is a very tricky issue, because the infinite wire is a physical idealization, and you have to use a more clever formula to evaluate the potential (there's no such problem for ##\vec{B}##, which can be calculated with the standard Biot-Savart formulat). The reason is that the naive integral for ##\vec{A}## of course diverges for and infinitely long wire. In this case, it's much easier to directly integrate the differential equation for ##\vec{A}## with the ansatz
    $$\vec{A}=\vec{e}_z A(R),$$
    where I use standard cylinder coordinates ##(R,\varphi,z)##. Using the standard formulae for curl in cylinder coordinates you get
    $$\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = -A'(R) \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=-\frac{1}{R} \left (R A'(R) \right )' \stackrel{!}{=} \mu_0 \vec{j}.$$
    With
    $$\vec{j}=\frac{I}{\pi a^2} \Theta(a-R) \vec{e}_z=j_0 \Theta(a-R) \vec{e}_z$$
    you get by simple integration (for ##R<a##)
    $$A_{<}=-\frac{\mu_0 j_0}{4} R^2,$$
    where I used the fact that the potential is regular at ##R=0##. For ##R>a## you get
    $$A_{>}=C_1-C_2 \ln \left (\frac{R}{a} \right).$$
    Continuity demands ##C_1=-\mu_0 j_0 a^2/4##. The magnetic field is
    $$\vec{B}_<=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 R}{2} \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{B}_>=\frac{C_2}{R} \vec{e}_{\varphi}.$$
    Since there are no surface currents ##\vec{B}## must be continuous at ##R=a##, i.e.,
    $$\frac{C_2}{a}=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 a}{2} \; \Rightarrow \; C_2=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi},$$
    and thus
    $$\vec{B}_{<}=\frac{\mu_0 I R}{2 \pi a^2} \vec{e}_{\varphi}, \quad \vec{B}_{>}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi R} \vec{e}_{\varphi}.$$

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  6. May 18, 2018 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One correction, if my algebra/calculus is correct when I looked up the curl in cylindrical coordinates: The curl of ## A ## generates a ## \phi ## component of ## B ##, (##B_{\phi}=- A'(R) ##), and when taking the curl of that, the term of interest, (the z component of the curl of ## B ##), has ## \frac{1}{R} ( \frac{\partial{( R \, B_{\phi})} }{\partial{R}}) ## so that it should be ##( \nabla \times \vec{B})_z=-\frac{1}{R}(R \, A'(R))' =\mu_o j_o ##. ## \\ ## (This is apparently a "typo" because the subsequent solutions for ## A(R) ## are correct, and they are the solutions that are obtained with this correction). ## \\ ## And one additional minor "typo": ## C_1=-\mu_o j_o a^2/4 ##, (where it should be ## j_o ## rather than ## r_u ##). ## \\ ## A very interesting solution. Thank you @vanhees71 !! :)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  7. May 19, 2018 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Indeed! Thanks. I corrected the typos in the posting.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted