Vector Space: Scalar Restriction in ℤ2

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limiting scalars in a vector space. It is possible to limit the scalars to a subfield, resulting in a different vector space. This can be seen in the example of the real line, which can be a one dimensional vector space over the field of real numbers or an infinite dimensional vector space over the field of rational numbers, depending on the scalar domain chosen.
Austin Chang
In a vector space can you limit the scalar. For example, if I have Vector space in ℤ2 can i only multiple integer scalars?

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin Chang said:
In a vector space can you limit the scalar. For example, if I have Vector space in ℤ2 can i only multiple integer scalars?
In this case it is called a ##\mathbb{Z}-##module, i.e. the scalars are from a ring, in your example ##\mathbb{Z}##. Vector spaces are required to have a field as scalar domain, that is we have invertible elements as scalars (and of course ##0##). However, the field doesn't have to be "unlimited". E.g. ##\{0,1\}## is also a field.

Austin Chang said:
You can limit the scalars to a subfield of the field of scalars but then you have a different vector space. For instance the real line is a one dimensional vector space over the field of real numbers. If you limit the scalars to the field of rational numbers, then the real line is an infinite dimensional vector space over the field of rational numbers.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, along with operations such as addition and scalar multiplication. These operations follow specific rules and properties that allow for the manipulation and study of vector spaces.

2. What is scalar restriction in ℤ2?

Scalar restriction in ℤ2 refers to the process of limiting the scalar values that can be used in a vector space. In the context of ℤ2, the scalar values are restricted to the integers 0 and 1, which are the only two elements in this set.

3. How is scalar restriction applied in ℤ2?

Scalar restriction in ℤ2 is applied by defining the operations of addition and scalar multiplication in terms of the integers 0 and 1. For example, in ℤ2, the scalar multiplication of a vector by 0 results in the zero vector, and the scalar multiplication by 1 leaves the vector unchanged.

4. What is the significance of scalar restriction in ℤ2?

The significance of scalar restriction in ℤ2 lies in its application to coding theory and cryptography. By restricting the scalar values to 0 and 1, vector spaces in ℤ2 can be used to represent and manipulate binary data, making them useful in the construction of error-correcting codes and cryptographic algorithms.

5. How is scalar restriction different from scalar multiplication?

Scalar restriction and scalar multiplication are two different concepts, but they are closely related. Scalar multiplication refers to the operation of multiplying a vector by a scalar, which results in a new vector. Scalar restriction, on the other hand, refers to the limitation of the scalar values that can be used in a vector space. In ℤ2, scalar restriction is a property that is defined in terms of scalar multiplication.