Vector Spaces: Verify whether a set is a vector space

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of determining whether a set of vectors is a vector space, with the given condition that u + v = 0. The conversation also mentions the 10 axioms of vector space and the attempt at solving the problem, which resulted in a false answer. The person is unsure about the definition of V and is seeking clarification on one of the axioms.
lawlbus
I was given a set of problems and answers, but not the solutions. This is one of the questions I've been having trouble in getting the correct answer.

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set of vectors (u, v) is a vector space, where u + v = 0.

Homework Equations

The 10 axioms of vector space.

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer to this problem is TRUE, but I must be doing something wrong because I'm getting FALSE. I'm not quite sure if what I'm doing is right:

i) Both u and v are in V, and u + v is in V. (I'm not positive on this... is 0 always in V?)

ii) u + v = v + u (True)

iii) (u + v) + w = u + (v + w) (Not sure how to use the vector w in this one.. but it should be true if u + v = 0 as defined, right?)

iv) 0 + u = u + 0 = v (true)

v) u + (-u) = (-u) + u = u + v = 0 (true)

vi) c*u exists in V (false...? VERY UNSURE on this one! I thought it was false because of this!)

vii) c(u + v) = cu + cv (true)

viii) (c + d)u = cu + du (true)

ix) c(du) = (cd)u (true)

x) 1 * u = u (true)

I think my trouble is I'm not sure of the context on what V consists of.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what's your axiom vi) supposed to mean?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, and a set of operations, called scalar multiplication and vector addition, that allow for the manipulation and combination of these vectors.

2. How do you verify whether a set is a vector space?

To verify whether a set is a vector space, we must check that it satisfies the 10 axioms (or properties) of a vector space. These axioms include conditions such as closed under addition and scalar multiplication, existence of a zero vector, and existence of additive and multiplicative inverses.

3. What are some common examples of vector spaces?

Some common examples of vector spaces include the set of real numbers, the set of n-dimensional vectors, the set of polynomials of degree n or less, and the set of continuous functions on a given interval.

4. Can a set be a vector space if it does not satisfy all 10 axioms?

No, in order for a set to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy all 10 axioms. If even one axiom is not satisfied, the set cannot be considered a vector space.

5. How are vector spaces used in real-world applications?

Vector spaces have many real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and solve problems involving physical quantities, such as forces and velocities, and in computer graphics and animation to represent objects and movements in 3D space.