1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Subspaces, don't understand

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    Vector Subspaces, don't understand....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the given subsets of the vector space, M23, of all 2 X 3 matrices are subspaces.

(a) [a b c, d 0 0] where b = a + c

2. Relevant equations

Theorem 4.3

Let V be a vector space with operations + and * and let W be a nonempty subset of V. Then W is a subspace of V if and only if the following conditions hold

(a) u and v are any vectors in W, then u + v is in W.
    (b) If c is any real number and u is any vector in W, then c * u is in W.

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all I'm not exactly sure what the space R3 exactly is and what to look for.

Is it all the positive numbers in x,y and z? I know what two properties to apply when trying to figure out if its a subspace but I still don't know exactly what to look for.

If someone could explain how to look at this problem, anything about vector spaces, or point me in the direction of a good website about them that would be greatly appreciated...i have yet to find one that I like. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Vector Subspaces, don't understand....

Your problem has nothing to do with R^3. If you take two such matrices M1 and M2 with entries a1, b1, c1, d1 (with b1=a1+c1) and a2, b2, c2, d2 (with b2=a2+c2) and add M1+M2 getting a third matrix M3 (so e.g. a3=a1+a2, etc), is it still true that b3=a3+c3? If so, that's your property (a).

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    Re: Vector Subspaces, don't understand....

Yeah, what you're really trying to do is to determine is if the addition of any 2 elements in the W gives an element in W. Similarly in (b), you are trying to see if the '*' of a real number c to an element of W results in an element contained in W as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook