1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Sum of Forces Experiment

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://cgscomwww.catlin.edu/sauerb/AP12/AP12_Labs/AP12_Lab_4_Forces_files/image002.jpg [Broken]
    My experiment is like this picture found in the net. The weight in the middle is called R in my experiment, while the left one is P and the right Q.

Now there is one question asked, the answer of which is needed to be included in the report.
    It goes like this: "the direction of ALL the resultant vector R=( l P+Q l ) must be the same. If you want the direction of the resultant vector R to be different, what should you do to the arrangement of apparatus in Figure 4? (Use your own creativity / creative thinking)"

2. The attempt at a solution
    Is the direction of the resultant vector R the same as the gravity which is downwards? Then how can we change it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Clearly you can't change the direction of gravity but the problem doesn't limit what else you can change. Have a think about gravity and what it is.

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    OK gravity is always directed towards the centre of the earth.

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gravity yes. What about other forms of acceleration?

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5
    There are 4 types of fundamental forces: Gravity, Electromagnetic Force, Strong Nuclear Force and Weak Nuclear Force.
    The latter two are, if I am correct, involved particularly in interactions between elementary particles.
    So Sir, do you mean electromagnetic force?

I have thought about that but it seems to complex and sophisticated.
    Please enlighten me...:)

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are forces. I said acceleration.

The mass is currently hanging down vertically due to gravity. Can you think of a way to get it to hang at say 10 degrees to the vertical? Hint: You might not be able to do it in a confined space or for very long.

8. Oct 2, 2014 #7
    Do you mean tilting the whole table, Sir?
    This is the only way I can think of...
    and it's the same as decreasing the height of one of the two fixed points (P or Q), if I am not mistaken.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  9. Oct 4, 2014 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was actually thinking of putting the rig on wheels and accelerating it horizontally.

10. Oct 4, 2014 #9
    Do you mean like this, Sir?
    Because I don't really understand...

Attached Files:

11. Oct 5, 2014 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No I mean put the whole rig on wheels and accelerate it across the lab like this..
    Untitled.png

12. Oct 5, 2014 #11
    OH...
    Oh sorry Sir, forgive my stupidity. Yes you have solve the problem!!! Since day 1...
    Thank you Sir CWatters for accompanying me this whole week. I appreciate it. :k

Though in the end, I still can't figure it out myself...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted