Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector trouble

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1

DB

when a question gives u vectors in polar form, calling them A,B,C,D then askes you to simply for example: A - 4C + D, what am i supposed to do? is it just vector sum and difference? how do i multiply a vector by 4?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2
    4(xi+yj+zk)=4xi+4yj+4zk

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3

DB

sry i didnt mention we were working in 2D, but wat are i and j?

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    i and j is the subscript used to designate the x and y axis

6. Nov 3, 2005 #5

DB

o i see, sry to be a pain in the butt, but then wat are x and y?

7. Nov 3, 2005 #6
    the coefficients of i and j

8. Nov 3, 2005 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As used above, i and j, represent unit vectors, i in the x direction, j in the y. In 3d you also have k, the unit vector in the z direction.

I would assume that you are taking some form of a math class, have you read your text?

9. Nov 3, 2005 #8

DB

so 4 * Vector 25, 340 degrees would be 4(23.5+8.6) aproxx??

10. Nov 3, 2005 #9

DB

physics, my teacher hasnt given us any reading, he just said see if u can get these problems

11. Nov 3, 2005 #10

DB

is 4(23.5+8.6) right? wat i did was set up the the vector on a cartesian plane and use trig to solve the lenghts, would it be 4(23.5+ -8.6) because the triangle is in the 4th quadrant, or would i take the absolute value?

12. Nov 4, 2005 #11
    If you are trying to work out 4V as a vector, and V is something at 340 degrees, and at a magnitude of 25, then the vector can be written as
    [tex]v = 4(23.5i-8.6j) [/tex]
    (approx). The i and j are there to show they are the different components of v.
    By the way, I hate this latex thing, I was trying to get the i and j go bold in tex mode, but failed, oh well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook