1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors and deciding which direction to move

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    If you're given a point, with coordinates (0.8,0.7,0.129), and its elevation is given by f(x,y)=(e^(-0.5(x^2+y^2))*sin(pi*x+2pi*cos(5y)). How would you determine which direction to move in, where the elevation would not change?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By solving the equation:

{change of elevation} = 0

4. Oct 15, 2006 #3
    So set f(x,y)=0, and solve for x and y?
    Or set the gradient equal to 0, and solve for x and y?
    What would I do after that point?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  5. Oct 15, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, not f(x,y)= 0, that's not the "change in elevation". Remember that the gradient always points in the direction of greatest increase and is perpendicular to the direction in which the derivative is 0.

6. Oct 15, 2006 #5
    That is what I thought. But I'm still lost as far as what to do here...
    The gradient is just the partial derivatives with respect to x and y. If those were equal to zero then there would be no change in elevation, or am I understanding this completely wrong? :cry:

7. Oct 15, 2006 #6
    Am I onto something with my previous post, or am I getting no where? :cry:

8. Oct 16, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are completely wrong! If you take the gradient and set it equal to 0, then you would be finding the point at which the surface is "level"- going in any direction makes no change in elevation.

But here you are given the point (0.8,0.7,0.129) and are asked to find a direction in which there is no elevation change. As I said before, that is the direction that is perpendicular to the gradient. Find the gradient of the given function, at (0.8, 0.7) (z is the value of the function. The gradient is a 2 dimensional vector) and then determine a vector that is perpendicular to that. (Hint: a vector perpendicular to
    ai+ bj is bi- aj since their dot product is 0.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?