1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors find following in terms of x

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    express the following in terms of x, given that m,n,o and p are each 8 m long.
    so the first diagram has x pointing upward and then m connected, pointing downward (forming roof shape) and the angle formed is 140 degrees (under the roof).
    the next one is also a roof shape but x and n are pointing in diff dirrections instead of the same way. if x is extended, i cant really make a right triangle. so im confused.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

fr the first one, do i just extend x to make a right triangle on m and then get 40 degrees for one of the angles. so i would get 6 for the line that was extended. is this the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    I can't visualise this problem and can't understand what it is you are actually trying to express in terms of x...

Short of drawing a diagram, do you think you've explained the problem well enough for someone here, someone who's never seen the problem before, to answer it?

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

i drew diagrams for you at the link below

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/BeckyStar678/?action=view&current=physics.jpg

5. Sep 6, 2008 #4
  6. Sep 7, 2008 #5
    Sorry Becky I know i asked you to draw a diagram but I still can't quite get my head round this..

You might want to repost this problem if no one replies to this post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?