Vectors: Solving a Trajectory on the x-y Plane

In summary, the trajectory of the point body of unit mass acted on by two forces at time t = 0 is described by the equation d2x/dt2 = 3 and d2y/dt2 = -1 in the x,y plane. The unit vectors i and j in the positive x and positive y directions respectively are used to represent the forces. The resulting trajectory can be obtained by integrating and converting back to the i,j form.
discombobulated
[SOLVED] vectors -

Homework Statement

At time t = 0 two forces f1 = (i + j) and f2 = (2i - 2j) start acting on a point body of unit mass lying stationary at the point (1,2) of the x,y plane. Describe the trajectory r(t) of the plane.

Homework Equations

F = ma

a = d2x/dt2

The Attempt at a Solution

Total force, F = (i + j) + (2i - 2j)
F = (3i - j)

I know I need to integrate using the acceleration equation but I'm confused by the x,y plane, I thought it was meant to be in i,j plane? :S Could someone please explain?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i and j are unit vectors in the direction of the positive x and positive y direction respectively, so you're still working in the x-y plane.

thanks, so do i split it like this, d2x /dt2 = 3 and d2y /dt2 = -1 and then when I integrate to get x and y, put it back into i and j form?

discombobulated said:
thanks, so do i split it like this, d2x /dt2 = 3 and d2y /dt2 = -1 and then when I integrate to get x and y, put it back into i and j form?
Sounds good to me :approve:

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

2. How do vectors relate to solving a trajectory on the x-y plane?

In physics, vectors are often used to describe the motion of an object in two-dimensional space, such as the x-y plane. By breaking down the object's motion into x and y components, we can use vectors to accurately calculate its trajectory.

3. How is a vector represented mathematically?

A vector is represented by an ordered pair of numbers (x,y) or by a single letter with an arrow above it, such as v for vector v. The first number represents the x-component and the second number represents the y-component.

4. What is the process for solving a trajectory using vectors on the x-y plane?

To solve for the trajectory of an object using vectors on the x-y plane, we first break down the initial velocity into its x and y components. Then, we use equations of motion to calculate the position and velocity of the object at different points in time. Finally, we can plot these points to visualize the object's trajectory.

5. What are some real-world applications of using vectors to solve a trajectory on the x-y plane?

Vectors are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a satellite orbiting the Earth, or the flight path of an airplane.