1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity in microchannel with temporal temperature variation

1. Nov 25, 2017 #41
    $${\it mambiguous} \left( V =~\left(-\frac{3\cdot c \cdot Y ^{2}}{h }+
    \frac{2\cdot c \cdot Y ^{3}}{h ^{2}}\right)\frac{\partial \rho \left(X
    \right)}{\partial X }~\left[\left\{\frac{1-\frac{\rho \left(X \right)
    }{\lambda }\int _{0}^{\lambda }{\it mambiguous} \left( \frac{\partial
    \xi }{\rho \left(\xi \right)}, \right) }{\frac{\rho \left(X \right)}{
    \lambda }\int _{0}^{\lambda }\frac{\partial \xi }{\rho \left(\xi
    \right)}~}+c \right\}-\frac{1}{\lambda }\int _{0}^{\lambda }\frac{
    \partial \xi }{\rho \left(\xi \right)}\left\{\frac{1}{\frac{\rho
    \left(X \right)}{\lambda }\int _{0}^{\lambda }\frac{\partial \xi }{
    \rho \left(\xi \right)}~}+\frac{1-\frac{\rho \left(X \right)}{\lambda
    }\int _{0}^{\lambda }\frac{\partial \xi }{\rho \left(\xi \right)}~}{
    \frac{\rho \left(X \right)\escirc 2}{\lambda }\int _{0}^{\lambda }
    \frac{\partial \xi }{\rho \left(\xi \right)}~}~\right\}\right]
    \right)$$

Attached Files:

2. Nov 25, 2017 #42
    Yikes!!! That's nothing like what I get. Here is my development:

$$U(X,Y)\rho(X)=6c\left[\frac{1-\frac{\rho (X)}{\lambda}\int_0^{\lambda}{\frac{d\xi}{\rho(\xi)}}}{\frac{1}{\lambda}\int_0^{\lambda}{\frac{d\xi}{\rho(\xi)}}}\right]\left(\frac{Y}{h}-\left(\frac{Y}{h}\right)^2\right)+c\rho(X)$$So,
    $$\frac{\partial (\rho U)}{\partial X}=\left(1-6\frac{Y}{h}+6\left(\frac{Y}{h}\right)^2\right)c\frac{d\rho(X)}{dX}$$
    So, $$\frac{\partial (\rho V)}{\partial Y}=-\left(1-6\frac{Y}{h}+6\left(\frac{Y}{h}\right)^2\right)c\frac{d\rho(X)}{dX}$$
    So, $$V=\left(-\frac{Y}{h}+3\left(\frac{Y}{h}\right)^2-2\left(\frac{Y}{h}\right)^3\right)\frac{ch}{\rho(X)}\frac{d\rho(X)}{dX}$$

3. Nov 25, 2017 #43
    sir, Thank you very much for your help and patience. last doubt how to simplify the expression of u(x,t)? i.e. thread #35

4. Nov 26, 2017 #44
    In post # 35, ##\rho(t, x)=\rho_0\left(1-\beta \Delta T \cos{}\frac{2\pi(x+ct)}{\lambda}\right)## and
    $$\frac{1}{\lambda}\int_0^{\lambda}{\frac{d\xi}{\rho(\xi)}}=\frac{1}{\rho_0}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}{\frac{d\theta}{(1-\beta \Delta T\cos{\theta})}}$$

5. Dec 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM #45
    How could the system be in steady state when X=x+ct which is also related to time? If you have some time would you explain it?

6. Dec 15, 2017 at 3:53 PM #46
    It's at steady state as reckoned from the frame of reference of an observer who is moving to the left with a speed equal to c.

7. Dec 16, 2017 at 12:45 PM #47
    Actually how you get continuity equation from this equation $$\frac{\partial \rho( U+c)}{\partial (X-ct)}+\frac{\partial (\rho V)}{\partial Y}=\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial T}$$

8. Dec 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM #48
    In post #11, I asked you to prove to yourself that, with the transformation of variables I indicated, the equations transform the way I say they do. In post #12, you indicated that you had successfully done this. Now you tell me that you had not done this (and don't know how to). How can I trust you?

9. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM #49
    after using Galilean transformation I got,
    $$\frac{\partial (\rho U)}{\partial X}+\frac{\partial (\rho V)}{\partial Y}=\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial T}$$
    now as## \rho## becomes the function of X. so $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial T}$$ must be zero. but when I show it to the teacher he told that X =x+ct so it is also a function of t, differentiation w.r.t. T may not be zero.
    He asked me to show mathematical evidence. How it becomes a steady state?
    Sir, I thought maybe my perception of the transformation of the equation is wrong, or my explanation. Is there something wrong with my explanation?

10. Dec 17, 2017 at 7:56 AM #50
    You have not carried out the transformation correctly. The starting equations are $$T=t$$$$X=x+ct$$and $$Y=y$$
    For any function f of position and time, we start out by writing:$$df=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}dT+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}dX+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}dY$$From this, it follows that:
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}\left(\frac{\partial Y}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}$$
    But, in our problem, $$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}=1$$$$\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}=c$$and $$\left(\frac{\partial Y}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}=0$$
    Therefore, $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}+c\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}$$

Now it's your turn. What do you get for $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}$$and$$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}$$

11. Dec 17, 2017 at 9:03 AM #51
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}\left(\frac{\partial Y}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}$$
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}$$
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}\left(\frac{\partial Y}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}$$
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}$$

12. Dec 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM #52
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}\left(\frac{\partial Y}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}$$
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}$$
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}\left(\frac{\partial Y}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}$$
    $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}$$

13. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM #53
    OK. Now of we substitute ##\rho## for f in the equation $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_{x,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}+c\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}$$
    what do we get?

And, if we substitute ##\rho V## for f in the equation $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)_{t,x}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}$$
    what do we get?

And, if we substitute ##\rho (U-c)## for f in the equation $$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{t,y}=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}$$
    what do we get?

14. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:35 AM #54
    $$\left(\frac{\partial (\rho U)}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}+\left(\frac{\partial (\rho V)}{\partial Y}\right)_{T,X}=\left(\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial T}\right)_{X,Y}+2c\left(\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial X}\right)_{T,Y}$$

15. Dec 17, 2017 at 11:38 AM #55
    Wrong. You wrote down the original continuity equation incorrectly. And ##\rho## is not a function of T.

16. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM #56
    $$\frac{\partial (\rho U)}{\partial X}-c\frac{\partial (\rho)}{\partial X}+\frac{\partial (\rho V)}{\partial Y}=\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial T}+c\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial X}$$
    so ##\rho## is not the function of T so
    $$\frac{\partial (\rho)}{\partial T}=0$$
    $$c\frac{\partial (\rho)}{\partial X}$$ should be cancelled from both sides.

17. Dec 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM #57
    The correct statement of the continuity equation is:
    $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial (\rho v)}{\partial y}=0$$

18. Dec 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM #58
    $$\frac{\partial \rho(X)}{\partial T}=0$$ There t=T and X=x+ct. why so?

19. Dec 17, 2017 at 1:35 PM #59
    That is the coordinate transformation we defined.

Or are you asking how I was able to recognize that this particular transformation of independent variables would bring about such great simplification in the analysis of the problem?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted