Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    Can anyone tell me the formula of calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane?Please state the quantities as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there friction? Do we take into account air resistance? We need more information.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3
    No there is no friction and air resistance.It's chapter is rotational motion.

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is no friction then the body will not roll down the incline, it will slide.

6. Apr 4, 2008 #5
    I think we have to consider friction and the radius of gyartion is involved there.

7. Apr 4, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Further information is still required. Please state the full question with all known information.

8. Apr 4, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suspect you mean that there's no energy dissipated due to friction, not that there's no friction. (No slipping.)

In any case, don't just go hunting for a formula; figure it out from basic principles. What forces act on the body? What's the rotational inertia?

9. Apr 4, 2008 #8
    I have been given the information about the acceleration of a rolling body down an inclined plane as
    a=gsintheta/1+k^2/R^2
    But I really want to know the formula of that body when it actually reaches down the inclined plane.

10. Apr 4, 2008 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not quite sure I understand, you want an equation of motion for when the body has left the inclined plane and is now rolling along a horizontal surface?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?