Velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane

• Thread starter roshan2004
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Can anyone tell me the formula of calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane?Please state the quantities as well.

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there friction? Do we take into account air resistance? We need more information.

No there is no friction and air resistance.It's chapter is rotational motion.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If there is no friction then the body will not roll down the incline, it will slide.

I think we have to consider friction and the radius of gyartion is involved there.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Further information is still required. Please state the full question with all known information.

Doc Al
Mentor
No there is no friction and air resistance.It's chapter is rotational motion.
I suspect you mean that there's no energy dissipated due to friction, not that there's no friction. (No slipping.)

In any case, don't just go hunting for a formula; figure it out from basic principles. What forces act on the body? What's the rotational inertia?

I have been given the information about the acceleration of a rolling body down an inclined plane as
a=gsintheta/1+k^2/R^2
But I really want to know the formula of that body when it actually reaches down the inclined plane.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been given the information about the acceleration of a rolling body down an inclined plane as
a=gsintheta/1+k^2/R^2
But I really want to know the formula of that body when it actually reaches down the inclined plane.
I'm not quite sure I understand, you want an equation of motion for when the body has left the inclined plane and is now rolling along a horizontal surface?