1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    Can anyone tell me the formula of calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane?Please state the quantities as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there friction? Do we take into account air resistance? We need more information.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3
    No there is no friction and air resistance.It's chapter is rotational motion.

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is no friction then the body will not roll down the incline, it will slide.

6. Apr 4, 2008 #5
    I think we have to consider friction and the radius of gyartion is involved there.

7. Apr 4, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Further information is still required. Please state the full question with all known information.

8. Apr 4, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suspect you mean that there's no energy dissipated due to friction, not that there's no friction. (No slipping.)

In any case, don't just go hunting for a formula; figure it out from basic principles. What forces act on the body? What's the rotational inertia?

9. Apr 4, 2008 #8
    I have been given the information about the acceleration of a rolling body down an inclined plane as
    a=gsintheta/1+k^2/R^2
    But I really want to know the formula of that body when it actually reaches down the inclined plane.

10. Apr 4, 2008 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not quite sure I understand, you want an equation of motion for when the body has left the inclined plane and is now rolling along a horizontal surface?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook